Thread: Ufer earth:

Ufer earth:

Ufer earth:

I didn’t want hijack http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=192662

Ufer earthing is now in BS7671. In my early days in the trade as an apprentice we built a new substation. The rebar was cad-welded to 1 x ⅛ copper tapes around the foundations. In the above thread mention is made of clamps that can be used in place of cad-welding, has anyone got a link to these clamps?

I can foresee a problem with this new BS regulation, mainly the builders wanting to get the slab finished and the electrician showing up two days later.

BS = Male Bovine Exciment.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Check with Rexel... know they have them in USA market and believe they can source them.
    Screwfix 80158 also works. I usually brush some vaseline over it, but it works.

Thank you

We use NSI G-1-SDBR

NSI Link: http://www.nsiindustries.com/catalog...lamps/g-1-sdbr

Good for water, rods or rebar

Compression Grounding

You can also utilize compression type [ https://app.burndy.com/solutions/gro...sion-grounding ] this was the type I referred to in my previous post, even some local utilities are accepting these. Ironically after Don's post I went to discuss with a structural engineer and they mentioned they typically do not use the "weldable" re-bar. This from some googling if the sources are correct would be identified as such by the manufacturer and include a "W" in the listing indicating it is suitable for welding, it appears it all has to do with the carbon content of the rebar, I am no expert but found it interesting. I was also informed that structurally they account for the loss of strength in their design and selection, however I know of one site where they had to use multiple “shots” not sure what that does to the strength….

I had in one of my grounding classes the electrician who made the ufer ground at the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant (never finished) He said it was a million cm wire with a 1000 cadweld shot. Lit the shot with a spark igniter taped to a long 2 x4
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    I had in one of my grounding classes the electrician who made the ufer ground at the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant (never finished) He said it was a million cm wire with a 1000 cadweld shot. Lit the shot with a spark igniter taped to a long 2 x4
    Boy Howdy ! ! Now there's an image !
    Another Al in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    OK, I'm now officially confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    OK, I'm now officially confused.
    About the 1,000 mcm conductor or the remote sparker?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA