Terminating Stranded Wire On Receptacles -VS- Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What about tinning the stranded wire so that the strands don't separate?

user 100

Aside from the monumental tediousness involved it's not a good idea because the connection can cold flow and cause a bad connection over time.

And with the time/labor spent, it would probably end up being more cost effective to simply use the listed devices with the plates.

iwire

Staff member
I am going to start brazing all my wires to the devices, you cant be to careful when making up a switch that controls a 22 watt CFL.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is one of those things that we spend so much time debating and we will not get anywhere.

user 100

I am going to start brazing all my wires to the devices, you cant be to careful when making up a switch that controls a 22 watt CFL.

:D

Only way to go- those copper wires sure are temperamental- awfully rebellious and at times have been known to defeat the mighty strength of a tightly bound screw and just detach from devices they didn't like. :eek:hmy:

So far they have not defeated the properly torqued pressure plates, but you never know..........

kwired

Electron manager
You can try as hard as you want to land such conductors as perfectly as possible, but then along comes the device with a defect, messing up any effort you put into the perfect connection.

peter d

And with the time/labor spent, it would probably end up being more cost effective to simply use the listed devices with the plates.

Of course. I always use the backwired commercial grade devices when the need arises. I would be extremely tedious to do a large job with many devices by wrapping stranded wire around screw terminals. But I have no problem doing it in a pinch or for a few devices.

user 100

Of course. I always use the backwired commercial grade devices when the need arises. I would be extremely tedious to do a large job with many devices by wrapping stranded wire around screw terminals. But I have no problem doing it in a pinch or for a few devices.

My quote you posted had more to do with someone thinking of tinning the stranded conductors b4 hand in order to increase reliability ( ActionDave covered the main concern) when wrapped around a screw.

As for terminating stranded to a screw I'm not going to knock anyone for upsurping a very minor listing issue when using certain devices-like you said it gets done all the time, and if its done correctly (screw tightened sufficiently, no errant strands), there are no legitimate concerns.:D

Last edited:

LWFLASH

Infinity is correct

Infinity is correct

This is the reply of a question submitted for clarification ;

Q: I want to secure #12 AWG THHN stranded conductors to the screw terminal of wiring devices, duplex receptacles and/or toggle switches, even though the stranded conductor spreads and does not make full contact with the screw terminal and remains undamaged throughout the maneuver. Can I just wrap the stranded conductor around the screw terminal and tighten using a torque screwdriver or must I use a T & B Sta-Kon crimp terminal to prevent the strands from spreading? There is another method that comes to mind, strip a small portion of insulation and allow it to cover the tip of the strands, thereby minimizing the amount of spread at the conductor end. If I must use a crimp terminal or some other method, please explain why since there is no mention of this in Section 110.4 or anywhere else in the Code.

I understand some contractors have received a violation on this matter using section 110.14 of the Code.

A. UL Listed receptacles are evaluated for use with solid and stranded conductors. Also, 2012 UL White Book permits terminals of a receptacle are permitted for use with certified field-installed crimped-on wire connectors or an assembly, if so identified by the manufacturer. (Refer to UL product category RTRT).
General use switches are Listed for use with only solid conductors unless otherwise indicated in their installation instructions. 2012 UL White Book doesn’t include permitting language to use certified crimped-on wire connectors or an assembly. (Refer to UL product category WMUZ).

Look at this way, if it was your house or your building how safe would you want your installation to be? Then let that be your mentally guide line.

kwired

Electron manager
Look at this way, if it was your house or your building how safe would you want your installation to be? Then let that be your mentally guide line.
My house (I wired it when new) likely has no stranded wires under device terminals mostly because there wasn't stranded wires there to terminate. If there were I wouldn't think twice about it though. My shop may have stranded wires landed under some device terminals, something I never worry about though.

1964element

Strip it long couple inches wrap it around screw and pull it tight.
Always works for me, no stray hairs.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My quote you posted had more to do with someone thinking of tinning the stranded conductors b4 hand in order to increase reliability ( ActionDave covered the main concern) when wrapped around a screw.
That would have been me. I run into this a lot with audio wiring where the strands are small and solid wiring isn't an option, and an escaped strand can damage equipment. Yes, I know, it's different than house wiring, but replacing the end of a extension cord end is a lot like it, and I tin the ends when I do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.