Switch gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

When you have multiple cabinets bolted to your main disconect are those cabinets with breackers In them also considered your mdp.

My question is I know that at your main disconect you have to bond your nuetral and ground.
And after that point you keep your nuetral and ground seperated .

so when you bond your nuetral and ground At the main disconect and then you bolt other cabenitets to the mdp those cabinets will have the nuetral and ground bonded together aswell.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the main section is marked suitable only for use as service equipment then the neutral and EGC are already factory connected together but the neutral should be isolated from that point on downstream.
rbwHnhDPw1miCAjSqsx37Ro6xC65uqNMwwE7Zp_Cjw-jK5XqA9Wwhmd2Si1ylj0AjMOhGklOXvrhNVCgdyedXxKX21SVJwdyKVte2AEUgPiiXlocwX7HW0CFDz6ZeJpekqKka7NHQCRwVGtwKn9Dvr0EHRIWRRleSOKD23IM9EEZTda1xJ7Y6yGNyMQZ0XZGSOUkEqbVcpO45BrM2nb5o1Rxe0cQ3i6u6p-4HHEfLLHG2OAYSLZqmM3WwgUlQtUSIPWmavYvm5KVmSq2LfmdQkt6HCCmLQIwS7VxeOh1LlJSmQIjugPl3kD-ofBhxRfjd0Ya_u_rA2Sv_eG6xSG1GhbtpuDt73nJlFDGTkBzBnISt1EhUBSU9YOmRbnjTBcRKMNht144RSaoSOUzETyx4RmUqC7GX3NajS-3uv4Ui6El62s6qoJ8YCdV8c3jGYb8O3JG8oyEowm1yafw5iEAFKcHsGQvB6h2NSxtslkAbTLjicrF-P0VSAvS8rvdPa1iBRGrfk0q1U-USRRLAsYjvfIRZPV86brqauavkfuUc7w=w521-h921-no

When you have multiple cabinets bolted to your main disconect are those cabinets with breackers In them also considered your mdp.

My question is I know that at your main disconect you have to bond your nuetral and ground.
And after that point you keep your nuetral and ground seperated .

so when you bond your nuetral and ground At the main disconect and then you bolt other cabenitets to the mdp those cabinets will have the nuetral and ground bonded together aswell.

I am currious, what type of equipment is this? Is this a switchboard that you are adding another section to? Or are these cabinets connected by nipples?

liquidtite

I am currious, what type of equipment is this? Is this a switchboard that you are adding another section to? Or are these cabinets connected by nipples?
It's

Siemens gear total of 4 cabenitets being bolted together

one section mdp
one section ct cabeint
one section 800i switch
one section ten 0cps feeding rtu,s transformers etc

in the mdp their was a bonding jumper all ready instaled bonding nuetral and ground .

and the nuetral bar is on isolaters so if is being isolated down stream
after I took a beter look everything was how it should be .

seimens gear was easy to assemble to it came with bus links that ure able to slide Inbetween
and on the side of the bus for easy install .

in my opion it's easier than the square d bus tgat comes in angled bus .

Last edited:
It's

Siemens gear total of 4 cabenitets being bolted together

one section mdp
one section ct cabeint
one section 800i switch
one section ten 0cps feeding rtu,s transformers etc

in the mdp their was a bonding jumper all ready instaled bonding nuetral and ground .

and the nuetral bar is on isolaters so if is being isolated down stream
after I took a beter look everything was how it should be .

seimens gear was easy to assemble to it came with bus links that ure able to slide Inbetween
and on the side of the bus for easy install .

in my opion it's easier than the square d bus tgat comes in angled bus .

Is it a switchboard, a panelboard, or neither?

liquidtite

Is it a switchboard, a panelboard, or neither?

Ive always used the terminology switch gear not Shure if it's correct .

It has the main disco switch 2000i
ct cabinet and other cabinets with circuit Ocp
I've only heArd in dealing with that equipment as switch gear

.i was woundering with this service is 277/480
is that why the feeders hit the line side of the main disco first

all the other services I've done with switchgear the feeders hit the line side of the cts first then the load side of cts will feed line side of main disco

but those services were all 120/208
nit Shure if it's diff bc of 277/480
or it's a NYC thing

kwired

Electron manager
Ive always used the terminology switch gear not Shure if it's correct .

It has the main disco switch 2000i
ct cabinet and other cabinets with circuit Ocp
I've only heArd in dealing with that equipment as switch gear

.i was woundering with this service is 277/480
is that why the feeders hit the line side of the main disco first

all the other services I've done with switchgear the feeders hit the line side of the cts first then the load side of cts will feed line side of main disco

but those services were all 120/208
nit Shure if it's diff bc of 277/480
or it's a NYC thing

I bet $.02 that it says listed switchboard somewhere on that gear.

kwired

Electron manager
I was prodding because i have always been curious what constitutes " switchgear" that is not a panelboard or a switchboard? Is article 408 switchgear usually equipment over 600 volts?
2014 Art 100 definitions:

Switchboard.
A large single panel, frame, or assembly of panels on which are mounted on the face, back, or both, switches, overcurrent and other protective devices, buses, and usually instruments. These assemblies are generally accessible from the rear as well as from the front and are not intended to be installed in cabinets.

Switchgear.
An assembly completely enclosed on all sides and top with sheet metal (except for ventilating openings and inspection windows) and containing primary power circuit switching, interrupting devices, or both, with buses and connections. The assembly may include control and auxiliary devices. Access to the interior of the enclosure is provided by doors, removable covers, or both.

Informational Note: All switchgear subject to NEC requirements is metal enclosed. Switchgear rated below 1000 V or less may be identified as “low-voltage power circuit breaker switchgear.” Switchgear rated over 1000 V may be identified as “metal-enclosed switchgear” or “metal-clad switchgear.” Switchgear is available in non–arc-resistant or arc-resistant constructions.

My E-book version has the following notation after the informational note :Change from 2011 NEC:
Revised the definition title Metal-Enclosed Power Switchgear to Switchgear. Added a new Informational Note

Wouln't a motor control center fit the switchgear definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.