MCC Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe85

Can anyone suggest training for building Motor Control Centers (MCC)?

Looking more towards high power - hundreds of HP @ 480

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Can anyone suggest training for building Motor Control Centers (MCC)?

Looking more towards high power - hundreds of HP @ 480

You have given us only eight words explaining the context. Pretty broad. I can't tell if you are looking at an industrial company building their own MCCs in their machine shops, or building up motor controls using separate components. Before you give another one word answer, I'd suggest you write up a disertation on exactly what you want to do. I don't need it, but it will help you narrow your field of study.

With the information we have, I won't be much help. Only a few things I can offer:

"hundreds of horsepower" is not what I would consider "high power". MCC are rated in amps - not horsepower. 600A - 1000A is maybe 'normal' (what ever that is) sized. 3000A - 4000A is about as high power as I have seen - fault current, arc flash get overwhelming.

As for building MCCs: Other than major mfgs with stock offerings, custom mccs are built by nrtl panel shops. So for building training, first I'd suggest you got to welding school, concurently go back to school for mechanical engineering classes on steel structural design.

Design training:
Get all the nrtl specs on MCCs and get reading. Then I'd go looking for a job with a nrtl panel shop.

As for building motor controls using separate components:
Get a class specifically on NEC 430. Probably more than one. I've been to several - most by nationally recognized experts. They all suffer from deficiencies.
Get copies of IEEE 142, IEEE 242. (also okay to read them)

And, get training covering calculation of:
available short circuit current
arc flash
relay (cb, ocp) coordination

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.