Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkline01

I view the NEC 250.148 as the grounding conductor can pass through a box along with circuit conductors. Splicing the grounding conductor when the circuit conductors are spliced and allowing all the pass through conductors pass through makes the job easier and less crowded. I work with journeyman that say every ground has to be spliced no matter what.

Thank you for your insight!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here is an illustration that will help and you are right, if there are no splices in the box the EGC can be the metallic conduit as ActionDave says.

1113924037_2.jpg

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Here is an illustration that will help and you are right, if there are no splices in the box the EGC can be the metallic conduit as ActionDave says.

1113924037_2.jpg

Roger
Interesting that graphic shows combination of spliced and unspliced in same box. The associated EGC with the unspliced is also unspliced.

My thoughts has always been if you spliced anything in that box that all the EGC's need connected together and to the box (if metallic). I could be wrong or maybe it just isn't so clear what the intention is?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The graphic doesnt say the EGC has to be spliced.
It says it has to be terminated to the box.
They just happened to choose a splice method to terminate to the box in the graphic.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me the question is not how you terminate but whether the existence of a spliced hot in one circuit triggers the requirement to terminate the EGC of all other circuits too.
It may be that writer is trying to cram two situations into one graphic, with unfortunate loss of clarity and completeness.

iwire

Staff member
To me the question is not how you terminate but whether the existence of a spliced hot in one circuit triggers the requirement to terminate the EGC of all other circuits too.

IMO no.

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment
Grounding Conductors to Boxes. Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Seeing as how the feeder conduit seems to be on the bottom left, and that conduit contains (2) Green conductors, maybe they were using (1) as an isolated ground with the red....
good thing they didnt splice the red or white going out the upper right or their isolated ground would have needed to be bonded to the box and become a normal EGC like the other ???? :)

JAP>

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Seeing as how the feeder conduit seems to be on the bottom left, and that conduit contains (2) Green conductors, maybe they were using (1) as an isolated ground with the red....
good thing they didnt splice the red or white going out the upper right or their isolated ground would have needed to be bonded to the box and become a normal EGC like the other ???? :)

JAP>

I see (3) Green conductors in the "feeder" conduit. That is to say, 3 separate circuits each with an equipment grounding conductor.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Regardless, I dont see much point in it unless they're worried about a wirenut somehow mysteriously falling off and they're wanting a redundant return path other than the EMT that is already in place.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that the only way to successfully resolve the conflict is to consider the the isolated ground is not an EGC for the purposes of this section, although other insulated EGCs would be covered.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone really know why this needs to be done other than to have us all argue about the need for it over and over?

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
or their isolated ground would have needed to be bonded to the box and become a normal EGC like the other ???? :)

No, the IG does not have to join the others.

This is an exception to 250.148

Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted
in 250.146(D) shall not be required to be connected to the
other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.

250.146(D) is about IGs

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So what was the intent to require bonding an EGC to the box when the circuit conductors were spliced?
Maybe the reasoning would clear up a lot of the confusion.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
So what was the intent to require bonding an EGC to the box when the circuit conductors were spliced?

I think you are looking at backwards.

250.148 is giving us permission not to bond the box when the conductors are unbroken.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And why is that?

What difference does it make if I splice the other conductors or not?

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.