Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service grounding

Service grounding

Is it proper to connect a GEC for a service at more than one location?
    I see this all the time on residential services- two supplemental ground rods bonded together and tied to the meter can outside of the house and then a run from the panelboard inside to the water main. Shouldn’t the electrodes be bonded together and then tied to either the service disconnect at the panelboard inside or outside at the meter can? I thought tying GEC’s at two separate locations was a code violation?

Lemme see if I got this right.

GEC to two rods tied in at meter. Meter bonded to neutral.

Another GEC to water line tied in at main panel. Assume Neutral and Ground are bonded together in panel, with 3 wire from meter to panel. Panel bonded to neutral.

If so, unconventional but prolly okay.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

It's very common and permitted.

Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    It's very common and permitted.

I should have said uncommon IME instead of unconventional maybe. Few POCOs I have worked with allow me to use the meter base.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by rojay View Post
    I see this all the time on residential services- two supplemental ground rods bonded together and tied to the meter can outside of the house and then a run from the panelboard inside to the water main. Shouldn’t the electrodes be bonded together and then tied to either the service disconnect at the panelboard inside or outside at the meter can? I thought tying GEC’s at two separate locations was a code violation?
    i would think if given the option you would take the more direct path outside the building to earth

i think the meter enclosure is a good optiion

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I should have said uncommon IME instead of unconventional maybe. Few POCOs I have worked with allow me to use the meter base.
    Must be a regional thing, around here the connection is not permitted in the meter enclosure by the POCO but I have seen this commonly elsewhere in the country.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I see. The required bonding together of all electrodes is being achieved by their common connection to the service neutral.

I see. The required bonding together of all electrodes is being achieved by their common connection to the service neutral.
    Yes. 250.24 is a player here also.

Derek

Funny that you mention 250.24.
    250.24A1 is the section that I heard cited to claim that the grounding scenario in my OP was a violation
    The fact that the GEC connection is to be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service lateral to (and including)the neutral bus at the service disconnect was being used as an “either, or but not both” statement.

There is only one GEC. The other wires are bonding conductors.
    Bob