User Tag List

Thread: Flat panel led with remote driver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat panel led with remote driver

Does anyone know of a dimmable 2x2 flat panel led with a remote driver? I want to install these in a customer's basement and I only have an inch and a half because of ductwork. The suspended ceiling is too low for surface mount fixtures. I was hoping to install the drivers on the side of the 2x6 above the suspended ceiling. Everything I have found has the driver mounted on the panel. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starsandstripes View Post
    Does anyone know of a dimmable 2x2 flat panel led with a remote driver? I want to install these in a customer's basement and I only have an inch and a half because of ductwork. The suspended ceiling is too low for surface mount fixtures. I was hoping to install the drivers on the side of the 2x6 above the suspended ceiling. Everything I have found has the driver mounted on the panel. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    I’ve only seen them with the driver mounted to the fixture.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has got to be one tight unforgiving space! Those things are thin these days.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMFOTP View Post
    Perfect! I will check into cost. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driver thickness.

In the process of doing 2 conference rooms with flat panels and although drivers are attached they are less than 1 1/2 inch tall. But even with the driver remoted, I question as to how you would even place the panel without building the grid around it. They must be installed tilted up on the diagonal. Do not envy you on this one. The drivers have to have the cover with arcs cut for fitting clearance. Use 3/8 flex with a whip would fit under the duct if you have 1.5 inches clearance, if you are building the grid around the fixtures. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patmandad View Post
    In the process of doing 2 conference rooms with flat panels and although drivers are attached they are less than 1 1/2 inch tall. But even with the driver remoted, I question as to how you would even place the panel without building the grid around it. They must be installed tilted up on the diagonal. Do not envy you on this one. The drivers have to have the cover with arcs cut for fitting clearance. Use 3/8 flex with a whip would fit under the duct if you have 1.5 inches clearance, if you are building the grid around the fixtures. Good luck.
    Interested to know how that conference room turned out, could you let us know? I've tried to stay away from flat panel because of the glare. I cringe to think of them in a conference room where visual comfort is important. We had a few installed in our office and they lasted about a week before we were all sick of them.

But they are pushed on almost every project; high end office building -> very first email was asking to VE to flatpanel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested to know how that conference room turned out, could you let us know? I've tried to stay away from flat panel because of the glare. I cringe to think of them in a conference room where visual comfort is important. We had a few installed in our office and they lasted about a week before we were all sick of them.

But they are pushed on almost every project; high end office building -> very first email was asking to VE to flatpanel.
    IMFOTP, would you be able to elaborate on the glare from the flat panels? I'm genuinely curious as I think the flat panels seem less glarey. When compared to the LED lensed troffers they seem less glarey as the luminance is spread out over more area which would decrease brightness. I have seen them try to pack as many lumens in a 2x2 flat panel (ie ~4000 lumens) in the same as a 2x4 and I'd agree it get's bright.

Some of the flat panels are starting to use the edge-lit technology as well, which can differ between manufacturers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tw1156 View Post
    IMFOTP, would you be able to elaborate on the glare from the flat panels? I'm genuinely curious as I think the flat panels seem less glarey. When compared to the LED lensed troffers they seem less glarey as the luminance is spread out over more area which would decrease brightness. I have seen them try to pack as many lumens in a 2x2 flat panel (ie ~4000 lumens) in the same as a 2x4 and I'd agree it get's bright.

Some of the flat panels are starting to use the edge-lit technology as well, which can differ between manufacturers.
    I think LED lensed troffers have the same problems, especially the cheaper ones. I guess I'm still used to seeing a shielded light source like we had back in the day (parabolic/paracube, don't see those much anymore), especially for a conference room, LED troffers sacrificed visual comfort for lumens/watt.

Don't know what the answer is...I want people to enjoy and be comfortable in their space, especially if they spend all day under the same lights, but I know $$$ drives everything these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think LED lensed troffers have the same problems, especially the cheaper ones. I guess I'm still used to seeing a shielded light source like we had back in the day (parabolic/paracube, don't see those much anymore), especially for a conference room, LED troffers sacrificed visual comfort for lumens/watt.

Don't know what the answer is...I want people to enjoy and be comfortable in their space, especially if they spend all day under the same lights, but I know $$$ drives everything these days.
    You nailed it with the $$$. Once in a while we get to design a space with appropriate lighting as it should be and that feels rewarding. As I get older, 2700K and 3000K and non visible light sources become my friend. I think with dimming options/controls becoming cheaper, and now allowing the user to change the CCT (luminaires with selectable/changing CCTs), and also with the addition of energy codes dictating controls, I think we may see lighting comfort changes coming to the industry in the next 5 years. Task lighting should be making a come back, with general illumination going lower for certain office applications where most work is completed on the computer.

My favorite Conference room/training room no-no is seeing little MR16 downlights that hit your eye at the right angle to give you the old fluorescent headache.