Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool equipment supply

Pool equipment supply

I have a contractor who supplied power to the motorized pool cover from a gfi receptacle on the house because the homeowner wants to be able to control it from their deck. All of the other pool equipment is fed from a sub panel the contractor set. I can't find anything in 680 that states all pool equipment must come from the same panel. My other concern is disconnecting means for the motor for the cover. Equipotential bonding cannot be verified thanks to the pool contractor which doesn't excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Keul View Post
    I have a contractor who supplied power to the motorized pool cover from a gfi receptacle on the house because the homeowner wants to be able to control it from their deck. All of the other pool equipment is fed from a sub panel the contractor set. I can't find anything in 680 that states all pool equipment must come from the same panel. My other concern is disconnecting means for the motor for the cover. Equipotential bonding cannot be verified thanks to the pool contractor which doesn't excite me.
    I'm not understanding why the bonding can't be verified.

Nothing against code to run power from different location as long as the wiring method is appropriate.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Concrete poured prior to inspection. "Pool guy took care of it". Problem is I don't see a tail for the pool cover motor, a tail for the light deck junction box, and the vinyl pool liner will in turn keep the water from being bonded. Not sure if they installed a water bond I will verify when I go back. Needless to say the pool contractor is not licensed in the state and shouldn't be doing the bonding, or should at least work with the licensed electrical contractor to get it permitted and inspected.

Concrete poured prior to inspection. "Pool guy took care of it". Problem is I don't see a tail for the pool cover motor, a tail for the light deck junction box, and the vinyl pool liner will in turn keep the water from being bonded. Not sure if they installed a water bond I will verify when I go back. Needless to say the pool contractor is not licensed in the state and shouldn't be doing the bonding, or should at least work with the licensed electrical contractor to get it permitted and inspected.
    Unless pictures were taken, that concrete would be busted/cut up here unless the contractor is willing to show you with a meter that all items are bonded. Then that would cause another permit.
    I don't see how you can let that slide. I would at least make them cut a trench through the concrete around the pool and place a halo bond around. That's if they can't prove it's bonded.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

It will never pass. The homeowner will be made aware of potential problems.

I don't see a tail for the pool cover motor, a tail for the light deck junction box, and the vinyl pool liner will in turn keep the water from being bonded. Not sure if they installed a water bond I will verify when I go back..
    a tail for the light deck junction box,
    I hear guys talking about this i must admit i am unsure what this is or where it would go

Around here pools in commercial locations need to have there equipotential bonding tested every 5 years so there is a way to test it.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I hear guys talking about this i must admit i am unsure what this is or where it would go
    When we install motorized covers (our pools are concrete) we provide conduit in the end of the box for power to the motor, conduit for the key switch and a conduit for the bond wire which is already tied in prior to the pour. If a tail is set in the box prior to the pour, it tends to get in the way. The conduit makes for an easier install afterwards.

The key switch, by code must be located in an area whereas an operator can view the pool during both the uncovering and the covering mode.

We grab power from the sub-panel at the pool equipment for operation. I don't see any reason why power can't eminate from another source. We take it from the sub as a matter of convenience and serviceability -essentially all the pool equipment is in a common load center.

An inspector told me sometime ago about an inspection he was on and he told the contractor to make sure he was called prior to deck placement to inspect the bonding. He did not and the inspector forced him to remove the patio for the inspection during the final inspection. I think it was a paver patio so it wasn't as big a deal if it were concrete.

A bond test may be acceptable-depends on the inspector.

Thanks guys. Pool is in view from keypad. I will need to verify with pool contractor how they bonded everything. Should be interesting.

I, as a pool contractor, would be interested as to how this turns out. Keep us posted on results.