Thread: TEMP SPLICE

TEMP SPLICE

Hey guys have to splice a 4 #6 with a ground temp cable to the same size extg. feeder. Any recommendations? Thinking an Ilsco tap. Can you re-use a splice/tap? Thinking maybe when we disconnect the temp cable and connect the new we might be able to utilize the splice? Thanks

Yes, assuming it was properly installed. No different than reusing a wire nut.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Ilsco tap - as in an insulated multi-port device AKA "Polaris" by many? (Ilsco, Burndy, and others do have similar products)

Type mentioned is reusable. Some crimp on type splicing devices will cost less - presuming you already have the tool to crimp them with.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Ilsco tap - as in an insulated multi-port device AKA "Polaris" by many? (Ilsco, Burndy, and others do have similar products)

Type mentioned is reusable. Some crimp on type splicing devices will cost less - presuming you already have the tool to crimp them with.
    Thanks. So since crimp can't be used think tap would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks. So since crimp can't be used think tap would be better.
    There are straight through splice devices with set screw lugs, you need to find a way to insulate them though.

There are "split bolt" connectors - again need to find a way to insulate them.

There are "terminal blocks" that can be used.

For 6 AWG there is even the big blue "wire nuts" that should accept that size of conductor.

You have several options.

I have even used in a pinch a couple single port mechanical lugs and bolted them together, then insulated them.

There are straight through splice devices with set screw lugs, you need to find a way to insulate them though.

There are "split bolt" connectors - again need to find a way to insulate them.

There are "terminal blocks" that can be used.

For 6 AWG there is even the big blue "wire nuts" that should accept that size of conductor.

You have several options.

I have even used in a pinch a couple single port mechanical lugs and bolted them together, then insulated them.
    Thanks....when you says insulate you mean tape them up or cold shrink? Sh&% wire nut for #6 seems like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks....when you says insulate you mean tape them up or cold shrink? Sh&% wire nut for #6 seems like the way to go.
    Any approved method of insulating works. Tape and cold shrink are two options, and probably most popular options. Many kinds of tape to choose from though.

Any approved method of insulating works. Tape and cold shrink are two options, and probably most popular options. Many kinds of tape to choose from though.
    Thanks K. Hope the weekend was enjoyable..