Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 0-10 volt dimmable LED troffer control wiring

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    346

    0-10 volt dimmable LED troffer control wiring

    I’m installing 0-10v dimmable LEDs and I have a couple questions about he control wiring:

    1. I’m using class 2 CL thermostat wire (18-2) for the DC signal. From how I interpret the chapter on power limited wiring is that it’s ok for this wire to enter the junction box on the light fixture through a separate knockout. Anyone care to refute?

    2. There seems to be no way to turn the fixture completely off using a DC signal. 0 volts ( or no signal) is full brightness and 10 volts is full brightness. 1-10 volts is bright somewhat proportional to voltage but there’s a plateau where no more dimming is possible at about 2 volts. I discovered by accident that removing the voltage signal and shorting the input terminals in the fixture causes the light to turn off. I tested one off to the side for a few days and it seemed to cause no harm to the electronics. I was wondering if anyone knew of this was by design and meant to operate this way. I could easily put a relay in the control box that disconnects the signal voltage and shorts the control circuit for off operation. The documentation on these fixtures is sparse.

    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    126
    Shorting the purple and grey leads will dim to the lowest light level - this may be off or may be just dim. Open is full on. On the fancier drivers, this can be programmed (whether they dim to off, and what the low and high level points are). Shorting the leads should not cause any damage as that's an allowable state.

    /mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    346
    Thanks. It makes sense that that would be by design. I’m new to this technology but I’m liking it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    120
    Are you just putting the class 2 wire through the knockout on the j-box? Or is there a connector for low voltage wiring?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    I’m installing 0-10v dimmable LEDs and I have a couple questions about he control wiring:

    1. I’m using class 2 CL thermostat wire (18-2) for the DC signal. From how I interpret the chapter on power limited wiring is that it’s ok for this wire to enter the junction box on the light fixture through a separate knockout. Anyone care to refute?

    2. There seems to be no way to turn the fixture completely off using a DC signal. 0 volts ( or no signal) is full brightness and 10 volts is full brightness. 1-10 volts is bright somewhat proportional to voltage but there’s a plateau where no more dimming is possible at about 2 volts. I discovered by accident that removing the voltage signal and shorting the input terminals in the fixture causes the light to turn off. I tested one off to the side for a few days and it seemed to cause no harm to the electronics. I was wondering if anyone knew of this was by design and meant to operate this way. I could easily put a relay in the control box that disconnects the signal voltage and shorts the control circuit for off operation. The documentation on these fixtures is sparse.

    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why don’t you just jump the lights out in Luminary cable

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    79
    The thermostat wire must be rated for whatever the line voltage is. It isn't written on it, you have to look it up, and maybe print out the page for the inspector. Also mcled could be easier if they aren't already wired.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by MiElectrician View Post
    The thermostat wire must be rated for whatever the line voltage is. It isn't written on it, you have to look it up, and maybe print out the page for the inspector.
    There is a reason it's not printed on the jacket, you're not supposed to know that information so you can use it for anything. All you need to know is the wire is listed as CL2 or CL3 and if you use it with a CL2 or CL3 power source you will be fine.

    No inspector should care about a spec sheet, only what is printed on the jacket.

    Of course, if you are using the wire in a non-NEC application- then you can use the spec sheet information as you see fit.

    -Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; 09-14-18 at 02:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    1. I’m using class 2 CL thermostat wire (18-2) for the DC signal. From how I interpret the chapter on power limited wiring is that it’s ok for this wire to enter the junction box on the light fixture through a separate knockout. Anyone care to refute?
    most inspectors are good with it.

    god help you if you get the guy in downtown LA who doesn't
    like that. he won't sign your job off. nope. nada.

    you'll redo it.

    ask your inspector, not us.

    you can also use MC with the control wires in it. perfectly compliant.

    your controls need to shut power off to the fixture when it's "off"

    there are 5% fixtures, and 1% fixtures, and sometimes it's hard to tell
    that there is light coming from a 1% fixture, but you want off to be off.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustwin351 View Post
    Are you just putting the class 2 wire through the knockout on the j-box? Or is there a connector for low voltage wiring?
    I used a snap-in plastic romex connector. Same as what HVAC guys use for control wire.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthisworld View Post
    Why don’t you just jump the lights out in Luminary cable
    I’m not sure what this means.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •