Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armored Fiber Optic Cable Grounding

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    See where it say’s “requires no grounding or bonding”
    I missed that but saw it does not want crushed or bent beyond certain radius in the assembly of whip instructions...

See where it say’s “requires no grounding or bonding”
    The armor is not used for shielding so there is no need to ground for that aspect. If the cable is installed outdoors the NEC does not cover it. However, where it enters a building (or if it's run within a building) Article 770.93 applies which requires bonding of the metallic armor (or interruption of it) as close as possible to the point of entrance. So in that respect you kind of do have a "demarc" like copper or coax.

-Hal

What’s likely to energize it. And if something did there is no effect to the optic strand. Is it just for rigidity?
    I would say gives it a little rigidity, possibly some rodent resistance for direct bury applications, also is a conductive path that works great for connecting a locator when needed down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    The armor is not used for shielding so there is no need to ground for that aspect. If the cable is installed outdoors the NEC does not cover it. However, where it enters a building (or if it's run within a building) Article 770.93 applies which requires bonding of the metallic armor (or interruption of it) as close as possible to the point of entrance. So in that respect you kind of do have a "demarc" like copper or coax.

-Hal
    I can agree with that.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

What’s likely to energize it. And if something did there is no effect to the optic strand. Is it just for rigidity?
    I am concerned about lightning, inducing a voltage which follows the armor to my equipment
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo