Thread: What is considered an appliance under NEC 2017 422.6

What is considered an appliance under NEC 2017 422.6

Is a greenhouse fan considered an appliance? Product in question is ES Shutter Fan by J&D Manufacturiing #VES20C, 115V. The motor of the wall mounted fan is UL rated, the manufacturer tells me there is no point in UL rating the fan, it is not an appliance and because the motor is UL rated. Our inspector is saying this is unacceptable and the wall fan is considered an appliance because it is affixed to the wall and as such the entire unit needs to be UL rated.

I found this exception in the state code "an assembled device that has an electric circuit that operates at 110 volts AC or higher, except for mechanical attachments, including pumps heads, pulleys and fan blades, that are used in the application of the device"

Is there a similar exception in the National Code?

The NEC definition seems to fit.

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air-conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Rob, in another thread, it seemed to be the consensus that the local inspector is who needs convinced but, if the motor, which is the electrical item, is UL listed, then the item itself is unofficially listed as the case and the fan blades are options to the UL listing? As both can be changed to other sizes without affecting the utilization of current?

I mean, it is hard as some of these threads go 80 some pages...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    Rob, in another thread, it seemed to be the consensus that the local inspector is who needs convinced but, if the motor, which is the electrical item, is UL listed, then the item itself is unofficially listed as the case and the fan blades are options to the UL listing? As both can be changed to other sizes without affecting the utilization of current?

I mean, it is hard as some of these threads go 80 some pages...
    Is it or isn't it an appliance? By NEC definition it sounds like an appliance. Next question are all appliances required to be listed?
    Rob

correct.. but biggest problem is, if it is not listed though the motor is, is it an NEC problem or a UL problem? Local Authority has to decide the issue unless code says different and you can get him to agree... so, it seems his saying it is an appliance holds true... but, is it now a listed appliance due to the motor being listed? That would be a UL rather than NEC from what I have been seeing on here, but it still gets confusing.
    If only Ralph Nader had not jumped down on everything back in the seventies... I might have a 2010 Travelall right now in the driveway..lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    correct.. but biggest problem is, if it is not listed though the motor is, is it an NEC problem or a UL problem? Local Authority has to decide the issue unless code says different and you can get him to agree... so, it seems his saying it is an appliance holds true... but, is it now a listed appliance due to the motor being listed? That would be a UL rather than NEC from what I have been seeing on here, but it still gets confusing.
    If only Ralph Nader had not jumped down on everything back in the seventies... I might have a 2010 Travelall right now in the driveway..lol...

That's not how listing works. The part or assembly gets a listing with very specific detail regarding what the thing is, and what can or must be used with it, how it is used, etc.. Putting unlisted parts on a listed part does to make that assembly of parts a listed assembly. To use this thread as example, a listed motor mounted used in an unlisted fan assembly does not mean the entire fan and motor are now listed. And codes apply to anything mounted in or attached to the structure, so mechanical codes can be cited along with NEC electrical code. So the AHJ has authority.

Re: the "appliance" designation. The NEC definition is vague with, "other than industrial" ( so an aircraft carrier is an appliance) and "and so forth".

Re: the OP's issue. Article 110.2 says all equipment required or permitted by the Code shall be approved. It is easily argued that any utilization equipment such as this fan fall under such a requirement. Whether the fan is an appliance is a moot point: the AHJ can simply state that a listed fan assembly must be used, or it will not be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is it or isn't it an appliance? By NEC definition it sounds like an appliance. Next question are all appliances required to be listed?
    As of 2017, pretty much yes. Article 422.6 ( as stated in the thread title ) is new: "All appliances operating at 50 volts or more shall be listed."

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    As of 2017, pretty much yes. Article 422.6 ( as stated in the thread title ) is new: "All appliances operating at 50 volts or more shall be listed."
    You're right I missed that in the title.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You're right I missed that in the title.
    I only spotted it the second time I read this thread.