Thread: Dimming Ballast

Dimming Ballast

Do they still make two wire ballast that will dim? I want to retro an existing light to dim,I just want to replace the switch with dimmer and ballast in the light.

I guess Im getting old,lol years ago I changed out the ballast in 8 lights to dimming ballast. Then replaced the switch for a compatible dimmer,It worked well,that was 30 years ago. Now it seems they do not make the parts anymore.

If you are talking linear fluorescent - retrofit with line voltage LED tubes (ballast bypass type) that are also dimmable. Simplest and likely least cost.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Thank you Kwired, I thought I heard in my last code update that line voltage LED was not to be used until further notice, Also I am quite certain at some point regular T8's would end up being installed by someone. 277volts.

Quote Originally Posted by wireday View Post
    Thank you Kwired, I thought I heard in my last code update that line voltage LED was not to be used until further notice, Also I am quite certain at some point regular T8's would end up being installed by someone. 277volts.
    Thought these were specifically built with transformers inside tubes for LED?? SO you only need to be sure which voltage you were using?? Have seen them in Jamaica in 120 and 240 v AC, and 12 and 24 v DC.. in three different light outputs. Was waiting for more information on them because the premise looks great... wire based on 24 Volt DC size of wire... but use at first on 120V.. until can source the 24V switches... then pull the system out of AC breaker box and into 24vDC breaker box so not using transformer space, as difference at my supplier is only 400 JA$, or 4$ US... per bulb...

Trying to make sure all circuits I run for lighting can handle being switched to 24Vdc later..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wireday View Post
    What code update? 2017 is already out, 2020 isn't published yet. That leaves you with local amendments being what may have an impact.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

If you are dead set on keeping the fluorescent lamps Lutron and Phillips/Advance still sell 2-wire dimming ballasts.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Thank you Curt, I did see that but there was no mention of a compatible dimmer. Do you have any thoughts on that.

Do a search for "Triac Dimming drivers" Many dimmable LED fixtures are available with line voltage dimming or 0-10 volt dimming as two separate options. Yes the dimmer itself needs to be compatible with the driver, but the higher end ones usually are.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!