Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you box this?

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    With the #6 conductors he mentioned you could get 12 of them in a 4x4x4 box. For larger conductors a properly sized box on a post might be the simplest method.
    Yes, I didn't do the math, but those gard-n-posts have a fair amount of space in them compared to most any other "device box"

You won't get twelve #6's in them if you only have incoming and outgoing 3/4 raceways either. From what I recall I don't think you will get any more than two 3/4 raceways into them.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Yes, I didn't do the math, but those gard-n-posts have a fair amount of space in them compared to most any other "device box"

You won't get twelve #6's in them if you only have incoming and outgoing 3/4 raceways either. From what I recall I don't think you will get any more than two 3/4 raceways into them.
    I was thinking about this post when I saw todays code question and graphic of the day. Should have mentioned it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by KaBoom! View Post
    I have a 1" PVC pipe coming straight up out of the ground at the top of a retaining wall in a customer's backyard. This was installed for future use by the previous owner when they had the retaining wall and paver patio installed. The other end of the 1" pipe comes up right net to the house.

So from the end of the pipe at the top of the retaining wall I need to trench about 15' to a new garage they are having installed. I would prefer to box it where the pipe currently ends since I don't know how many bends are made to get it there. This is near a fence so I could just drive a post into the ground to attach a PVC box to and bring the conduit directly into the bottom. But I was wondering if someone had another suggestion? The owner doesn't care what it looks like, but I would rather have it neat if I could.
    I would just pipe it all the way underground to new garage, chances of being aver 360 is probably slim, but you can take an educated guess as to how many degrees your at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But i can see why pullin' #6's in a 1" might make those bends relevant.....~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by jusme123 View Post
    I would just pipe it all the way underground to new garage, chances of being aver 360 is probably slim, but you can take an educated guess as to how many degrees your at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you even an electrician?

Quote Originally Posted by KaBoom! View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

An in-ground box is doable, the pipe comes up about 2 foot away from a fence and 5+ feet away from the retaining wall. I just wanted to avoid the expense of a Quazite box and the extra work of gravel and worrying about water.

Does Arlington make some type of post for this purpose?
    The box in the picture is less that $35 probably less than a code size PVC box and certainly less labor. Gravel isn't required and is mostly a waste as water will build up in any substantial storm anyway. If you however, are worried about water, then you need to run overhead because there will be water regardless of what you do. In other words, I wouldn't worry about the water.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    The box in the picture is less that $35 probably less than a code size PVC box and certainly less labor. Gravel isn't required and is mostly a waste as water will build up in any substantial storm anyway. If you however, are worried about water, then you need to run overhead because there will be water regardless of what you do. In other words, I wouldn't worry about the water.
    I agree on the water - it will get in there.

Gravel is easier to dig out for future access than if it ends up filling in with dirt over time.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Yesterdays Code Hint showed all the joints in a Hand Hold as needing to be waterproof style joints and splices.
    Todays showed if metal cover is used must bond cover.

but both showed what looked to be a pretty easy way to deal with the problem, and reduce the problems of bends, fenceposts, etc... Just unsure of costs.

Possibly:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-8-in-...TGBG/303702900
    or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...-UPC/202206115

but your call.. If feeding with 20 Amps, I might even consider a weatherproof outlet in a proper sized box, pigtailed into the junction... giving a usable outlet for yard work.
    But, waiting still to see what experts decide... still learning codes.