Thread: GFCI—Yes or No

GFCI—Yes or No

GFCI—Yes or No? I have a 3500 sq ft house in Dallas TX with stained/sealed concrete floors. Should I utilize GFCI protection for the outlets in every room? Already have final inspection as is. But wondered if I have a safety hazard. Have approx 30 circuits that would be involved. Not excited about the cost, but, would like some professional opinions on whether it might be a true safety issue.

While not required by code, I personally would do it. You can still buy 2 prong space heaters and such- so its definitely worth it IMO.
    I'm in over my head...

You have the information to make that design choice as you are aware from passing your final inspections the NEC position is areas that have a ground reference do not because of the ground reference kick in a requirement for GFCI protection of receptacles.

The use of the area is the second criteria and has been evaluated living areas and as such living rooms, bed rooms and so on to be safe without requiring GFCI protection in those finished areas

If you need AFCI's anyway (which you do unless local amendments state otherwise) maybe consider dual function AFCI/GFCI breakers, if it isn't already too late for that.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by KenBIng View Post
    GFCI—Yes or No? I have a 3500 sq ft house in Dallas TX with stained/sealed concrete floors. Should I utilize GFCI protection for the outlets in every room? Already have final inspection as is. But wondered if I have a safety hazard. Have approx 30 circuits that would be involved. Not excited about the cost, but, would like some professional opinions on whether it might be a true safety issue.
    why are you concerned as you already have final. Its not a code requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by KenBIng View Post

If the floors are on grade then from a safety standpoint this would be no different than providing GFCI protection for unfinished area of a basement. Not required but the NEC does think that unfinished basement areas can provide an additional hazard that is mitigated by the GFCI requirement.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    If the floors are on grade then from a safety standpoint this would be no different than providing GFCI protection for unfinished area of a basement. Not required but the NEC does think that unfinished basement areas can provide an additional hazard that is mitigated by the GFCI requirement.
    Give them time, I bet this will eventually be required to have GFCI. Makes more sense to me to add this than some of what was added in 2017 NEC.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.