Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max hot glove voltage

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Ok- so 34.5kv is ok to hot glove. I know 12.47 is but unsure about anything above that as I keep finding conflicting info. FWIW linemen do not like 34.5kv, but unsure if legit or just urban legend of that being more dangerous.
    36 kV is the max for gloves.

But there are companies working 46 kV hot as well. I haven't watched, and probably don't want to, but I would bet you they are gloving it to some degree.

They probably consider they limit gloving to no phase-phase exposure. Not sure if that is a legit method or not but the glove is good for the line-ground on 46 kV.

They work 500 kV hot also but not a gloving technique.
    BB+/BB=?

Not giving my dog hot gloves..................
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Not giving my dog hot gloves..................
    The basic thing is that there is no such thing as "a very important job" that you can't do them safely--> de-energize them!
    But your quickness in restoring power could mean saving the lives of others, so it's your call.

Quote Originally Posted by topgone View Post

But your quickness in restoring power could mean saving the lives of others, so it's your call.
    I’m registered with my supplier as “at risk” if power has to be cut for more than one hour they have to provide a generator.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by topgone View Post
    The basic thing is that there is no such thing as "a very important job" that you can't do them safely--> de-energize them!
    You are correct of course. It's a serious issue and my comment was light hearted. My dog is Max you see.

A guy I worked with for many years used the SIDE rule.
    Switch off
    Isolate
    Disconnect
    Earth
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.