Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you ready for POE lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    i'd talk to programmers instead. but, do whatever works for you.

i know an independent programmer who is $1k a day, plus expenses.
    he is booked weeks ahead. nets about $220k a year. flies all over the
    country doing this stuff. laptop and a airline carry on bag.
    Shoot, I am limited to Lutron stuff and can still pick up small contracts and make an easy buck.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    i know an independent programmer who is $1k a day, plus expenses.
    Where do I sign up?

(seriously, it's a line of work I'm willing to try and wrangling bad user interfaces is all in a day's work)

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    So what. The point is you can do it.
    NEC has a section on low voltage lighting.

Is there a reason these need CAT 5/6 instead of simple two wire supply?

Sparky's not knowing how to program a lighting control? I don't expect to get into very much if any of that before I retire. Of course I don't plan to move to CA either.

Put occupancy sensors in restrooms in a small town church, happened to be church I attend. I tried to talk them out of them, some were concerned about lights getting left on occasionally and the wasted energy/money. I told them there isn't that much for lights, and that if they only get left on occasionally the sensors will cost more then they will ever save. They still have times when the sensors won't turn the lights off and have spent more on service calls then they ever saved
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post

Sparky's not knowing how to program a lighting control? I don't expect to get into very much if any of that before I retire. Of course I don't plan to move to CA either.

Put occupancy sensors in restrooms in a small town church, happened to be church I attend. I tried to talk them out of them, some were concerned about lights getting left on occasionally and the wasted energy/money. I told them there isn't that much for lights, and that if they only get left on occasionally the sensors will cost more then they will ever save. They still have times when the sensors won't turn the lights off and have spent more on service calls then they ever saved
    Yeah I get that frequently, "we want to save money." After a bunch of timers/phtotcells/occupancy sensors and labor.......
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

PoE is not just running 12V over a pair of wires. Depending on the standard it uses 2 or 4 pairs. It uses a much higher voltage and both ends of the circuit work together to regulate voltage and current. The newer PoE standards allow for 70+ watts per port at 100 meters (328'). Using standard 2-wire cable to run 12v from a remote driver to remote LED lighting will require some very large cable over that kind of distance.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

With PoE you still have the usual ethernet data on the cable also.

Aren't the conductors actually a smaller gauge with CAT 7?

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    PoE is not just running 12V over a pair of wires. Depending on the standard it uses 2 or 4 pairs. It uses a much higher voltage and both ends of the circuit work together to regulate voltage and current. The newer PoE standards allow for 70+ watts per port at 100 meters (328'). Using standard 2-wire cable to run 12v from a remote driver to remote LED lighting will require some very large cable over that kind of distance.
    I'll admit to not knowing a lot about PoE, but figured power was likely on just one pair.

I don't see how you could get 70 watts over 100 meters on such small conductors without getting into "power circuit" ratings rather than class 2/3/ communications circuit ratings, unless maybe you did utilize all four pairs for power.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

I'll admit to not knowing a lot about PoE, but figured power was likely on just one pair.

I don't see how you could get 70 watts over 100 meters on such small conductors without getting into "power circuit" ratings rather than class 2/3/ communications circuit ratings, unless maybe you did utilize all four pairs for power.
    They use two pair for data and the usually spare two pair for the power, usually. Putting power on the data pairs can cause too many problems with errors in data.

Of course, many of my old installations could not use this technique as we used the extra two pairs for telephones and intercoms..lol...