Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3W Question

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Every time I used the picture icon it was unreliable. Sometimes it works and when it does it results in a small thumbnail that you can't click on to enlarge (like the problem here). Then many times it just gives an me an error message for both uploading an image or even inserting a URL from a hosting service. I have a feeling that there is a maximum size for both the file and image and if you exceed either it won't load or you get a thumbnail. This really needs to be figured out because images can be important here and there shouldn't be a need to edit your images before you can post them.

Going to have to try using the img tags directly next time and see what happens.

-Hal
    Was always a problem for me as well. IMG tags work, give you full picture embedded in the text displayed, which is also convenient for everyone reading. I won't always click on links in posts, even if I know it is to an image. Embed 10 pictures into a post with IMG tags and I will look at the pictures as they appear in the post. Put 10 links I have to click in your post to be able to see the pictures, I may not look at any of them.

You do need a site to host your images to use the IMG code, but there are free ones out there.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    You are correct, for pics on the computer I just use the picture Icon. It reduces in size, but can clicked on and enlarged.
    I've used the paperclip icon, is there any practical difference in the two ways to upload a picture to mikeholt.com?

Once the picture is uploaded, you can do "Preview Post", hover over the thumbnail, right click, and choose "copy image URL" to get the URL for the uploaded image. Then you can inline that URL between [IMG] tags to get the full size image inline in the post. You probably should leave the [ATTACH] tags for the thumbnails to be sure that the image is counted as being referenced in the post you are making.

I assume that the problem some people have with this is that if the uploaded image is too large (in bytes), then the forum software does some not very clever downsizing, producing an unreadable result. One workaround is to shrink the image (in bytes) before uploading it, not what sure what the threshold is for the forum software.

Cheers, Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    I've used the paperclip icon...

Once the picture is uploaded, you can do "Preview Post", hover over the thumbnail, right click, and choose "copy image URL" to get the URL for the uploaded image.
    Interesting. That would eliminate having to use a hosting service first.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Is there more than one way to wire these 3 ways together that are controlling the same lights. I thought typically I would have to run 3 wire from one 3w switch to the other 3w switch then up to the light. Although now that I look closer there should be 3W switches at the other end of the room for the control of the track lights.THanks.
    Your hot and the feed to the light can be in the same switch box, with only a 3 wire run between boxes and the common, or return, from the second 3 way switch connected to the feed for the lights in the originating switch box. The neutral doesn't leave the originating switch box. Not the greatest method cause you lose a neutral at a switch location and have to re mark a white conductor. But you asked for alternative methods, and this is a fairly common one. Google "California 3 way" if you want to see a less common one

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Is there more than one way to wire these 3 ways together that are controlling the same lights. I thought typically I would have to run 3 wire from one 3w switch to the other 3w switch then up to the light. Although now that I look closer there should be 3W switches at the other end of the room for the control of the track lights.THanks.
    And you should maybe post this in the general electric section when you figure out the image part

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

why bog down an estimate worrying about how to wire a 3W switch?

Here's all you need to know....the number of wires required are 2-travelers, 1-hot or switch leg, and 1-neutral

put that in your estimate and let the guys in the field provide the most effective way to do it....the $ is the same

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    why bog down an estimate worrying about how to wire a 3W switch?

Here's all you need to know....the number of wires required are 2-travelers, 1-hot or switch leg, and 1-neutral

put that in your estimate and let the guys in the field provide the most effective way to do it....the $ is the same
    so it's a 12/4 wire not 12/3

yep..now a 12/4 plus ground... to keep neutral involved...