Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Qualified Personel"

The next question is regarding PPE, if a non licensed technician is going into the live enclosure performing a calibration or battery replacement on a PLC does that "Qualified" person need the same level of PPE as the Electrician troubleshooting a tripped breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by jchase View Post
    The next question is regarding PPE, if a non licensed technician is going into the live enclosure performing a calibration or battery replacement on a PLC does that "Qualified" person need the same level of PPE as the Electrician troubleshooting a tripped breaker?
    A qualified person would know and use the proper ppe and the proper testing techniques. Or they could not be considered qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    A qualified person would know and use the proper ppe and the proper testing techniques. Or they could not be considered qualified.
    Damn good answer!!!
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jchase View Post
    Since the person is going into a live (energized) enclosure, they would need the arc rated PPE to open the door. Once the door is opened and if they can remove the hazard, possibly using such techniques as putting up insulating material to create a barrier, then PPE can be removed. Otherwise all work needs to be done wearing the PPE that the arc flash label indicates.

If you are a qualified person and the recommended PPE for a particular job you are doing is Lockouts for Breakers, Hi Vis, Safety Gloves, Safety boots, and Eye protection, and tyou decide that it is a five minute job and you only need to do it quickly, then how are you qualified, wearing shots, muscle tee, and using a screwdriver?

I am a qualified but not certified person. That means in order to keep people considering me as qualified, I know what to wear when I do certain jobs, whether the job is electrical, plumbing, carpentry, or soldering. Just because it is a hundred degrees outside does not mean I toss my jacket and pants and boot when riding a motorbike, and the same goes for any work I do... It may take twice as long to do, but I secure my ladders, etc...

Because I have the scars to prove what happens when accidents occur or things break...
    Don't want any scars from just outright doing it wrong!

My wife says i'm qualified to take out the trash

I guess things could be worse....

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    If you are a qualified person and the recommended PPE for a particular job you are doing is Lockouts for Breakers, Hi Vis, Safety Gloves, Safety boots, and Eye protection, and tyou decide that it is a five minute job and you only need to do it quickly, then how are you qualified, wearing shots, muscle tee, and using a screwdriver?

I am a qualified but not certified person. That means in order to keep people considering me as qualified, I know what to wear when I do certain jobs, whether the job is electrical, plumbing, carpentry, or soldering. Just because it is a hundred degrees outside does not mean I toss my jacket and pants and boot when riding a motorbike, and the same goes for any work I do... It may take twice as long to do, but I secure my ladders, etc...

Because I have the scars to prove what happens when accidents occur or things break...
    Don't want any scars from just outright doing it wrong!
    Qualified, certified, licensed....can have different meanings depending on if you are talking from NEC perspective, safety policy perspective, licensing perspective, etc.

One can have a license, that usually means they met certain requirements that some AHJ has decided is enough to consider them competent to do certain activities, and install things to codes (safety standards) that is sufficient to give reasonable protection to life and property from use of such installations.

Such license qualifications usually doesn't cover safe work practices though, which can be practices of working with live components, or even safe practices of how to use certain tools and machinery to perform such installations.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.