Expectations for pay rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

A journeyman with 12yrs exp. 7 resi 5 com.
Company truck to take home, 25.00 per hr.
Ive never understood how pay is determined.
In2000 doing resi for 20.00 an hr you would have to do basically everything but payroll.
In commercial the only norm Ive seen is J card will get 20.00 or more but not less.
Any skill to pay rate info would help, thanks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
A journeyman with 12yrs exp. 7 resi 5 com.
Company truck to take home, 25.00 per hr.
Ive never understood how pay is determined.
In2000 doing resi for 20.00 an hr you would have to do basically everything but payroll.
In commercial the only norm Ive seen is J card will get 20.00 or more but not less.
Any skill to pay rate info would help, thanks.

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Journeyman-Electrician-l-Dallas,-TX.html

that's what it's worth in your part of town.

peter d

It's important to keep in mind that pay levels across the board have not increased and in fact have slightly decreased, all due to the economic malaise that has set in. So if your pay has not increased from 10 years ago, join the club.

knaveman67

I was offered 32/hr. two months ago with full benefits to rope new houses. I didn't take it because i didn't want to stop working for myself, not sure I made the right decision. :)

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

brian john

Many items play into pay, Location, Licenses, you work service or on a site.

What are others in your area making, what can you offer the boss that justifies a pay increase.

Do you get benefits, holidays, insurance

chris1971

Many items play into pay, Location, Licenses, you work service or on a site.

What are others in your area making, what can you offer the boss that justifies a pay increase.

Do you get benefits, holidays, insurance

Usually the stronger the union presence, the higher the wages. Most of the time, not all of the time.

kenman215

Usually the stronger the union presence, the higher the wages. Most of the time, not all of the time.

Very true. My company is privately held and in the last 5 yrs we've expanded from 50 to 150 full time field electricians. Our local union has 1200 or so members, but since we've grown and compete with them on almost every bid, salaries across the board have increased within the company. I think back to when I first started, 20 yrs ago and I was making $7/hr with just general construction experience to wire houses. We start guys at that experience level at $15 now. Makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It's important to keep in mind that pay levels across the board have not increased and in fact have slightly decreased, all due to the economic malaise that has set in. So if your pay has not increased from 10 years ago, join the club.

Ten years is a long time. When will we wise up and figure out that employers have been using that excuse long enough?

-Hal

kenman215

Ten years is a long time. When will we wise up and figure out that employers have been using that excuse long enough?

-Hal

And there's the rub. How can pay not increase at least with the cost of living. How much did you pay for eggs ten years ago. IMO, the least anyone should ever get is a cost of living raise each year.

JohnE

Guys working for me have always got a raise every year. Even during the worst years. I took a pay cut based on the market.

kwired

Electron manager
Has anyone noticed fuel prices are as low or even lower then they have been for 10-15 years? I doubt hardly anyone has had a pay reduction because of that, but has possibly had pay raises in part because cost of living was up at some point.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And there's the rub. How can pay not increase at least with the cost of living. How much did you pay for eggs ten years ago. IMO, the least anyone should ever get is a cost of living raise each year.
Our local has gotten steady "raises", but they are across the board raises, i.e. package raises. The membership decides how to apportion it to wages and benefits... and most ends up going toward benefits, especially health and welfare because of the increased cost of healthcare. Comparatively, our hourly wage has not kept up with the cost of living because it does not include all such costs.

And as far as overall pay not keeping up with the cost of living is just a fact of capitalism and the rich squeezing a greater percentage of the lower classes income back out of them.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Has anyone noticed fuel prices are as low or even lower then they have been for 10-15 years? I doubt hardly anyone has had a pay reduction because of that, but has possibly had pay raises in part because cost of living was up at some point.
Remember how prices went up because of high fuel costs? See any of those prices getting reduced now?

kwired

Electron manager
Remember how prices went up because of high fuel costs? See any of those prices getting reduced now?

Other items have gone down, may or may not be direct relation or at least direct proportion to fuel cost. I'd think if fuel cost stays down some things will go down, but not as rapidly as they go up when fuel goes up. As much materials as we transport in this country fuel cost has to be a factor in consumer price on almost everything.

Martin B

I am thinking about this same issue, but I live and work in East Nebraska. What is the economy like in Dallas? Is your unemployment rate low and is there allot of construction work going on?

In this part of NE our unemployment rate is about 3.5% and there is a Tun of work. If you are a first year Journeyman you can walk into a shop and start working for $20-25/hr. An experienced Journeyman that can run large jobs will make about $30-40. These rates include 2 or more weeks vaca/sick time and some modest retirement plan. Some shops also give bonuses and vans to drive home.

Just about every contractor has "help wanted" signs on all their vans and one of the larger commercial electrical contractors was recently offering $35/hr + $3,000 hiring bonus for experienced Journeyman. I think our labor rates are about to go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.