conduit under slab cannot touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
inspector in cobb co GA failed a slab inspection today, saying that PVC conduits under a slab may not touch each other.

no code reference was given.

I've never heard this in my life, and I can't find anything in the code. anyone else?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
inspector in cobb co GA failed a slab inspection today, saying that PVC conduits under a slab may not touch each other.

I've never heard this in my life, and I can't find anything in the code. anyone else?

Ask him for a code citation. If it were Jersey, you could demand it; they have to give you one.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is Friday, did you smell Alcohol on his breath?

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have had building inspectors fail installations where conduits crossed reducing the amount of cover. They advised it was a violation but I have never seen the requirement in writing. (may well exist, I just have not seen it..above my pay grade)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no minimum cover requirement for a conduit in a slab in the NEC. :)

Could be a building code issue if the PVC will weaken the slab.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is no minimum cover requirement for a conduit in a slab in the NEC. :)

Could be a building code issue if the PVC will weaken the slab.

that was the basis on the building inspectors rejections in my experience

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

Take a look at 310.15(B)(3)(b)

kwired

Electron manager
Spacing must be maintained for the purpose of conductor ampacity adjustments is true. It does not specify how much spacing to maintain though, if we slip a thousandth of an inch shim occasionally between them we should be compliant I guess, but certainly don't let them touch each other.:ashamed1:

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Spacing must be maintained for the purpose of conductor ampacity adjustments is true. It does not specify how much spacing to maintain though, if we slip a thousandth of an inch shim occasionally between them we should be compliant I guess, but certainly don't let them touch each other.:ashamed1:

I didn't say that the requirement made sense, but it is in the NEC. And it is enforceable.:)

Carultch

Spacing must be maintained for the purpose of conductor ampacity adjustments is true. It does not specify how much spacing to maintain though, if we slip a thousandth of an inch shim occasionally between them we should be compliant I guess, but certainly don't let them touch each other.

Well, given the atomic level mechanics of all the familiar forces you know and love, it is technically impossible for any two object's to touch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8rkG9Dw4s

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We are not allowed to have conduits touching the whole length either. Our inspector requires us to maintain some sort of spacing between them. Usually scrap pieces of conduit, chairs, dirt, etc take care of it. It's not much of an issue if you're aware of it in the beginning. We did learn the hard way the first time!!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Thanks, but it looks like that pertains to multi-conductor cables, and we are dealing with PVC under the slab.

This shouldn't be a structural issue as we are completely underneath the slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Thanks, but it looks like that pertains to multi-conductor cables, and we are dealing with PVC under the slab.

This shouldn't be a structural issue as we are completely underneath the slab.

Multi conductor cables are covered in 310.15(B)(3)(a). The code section I cited states "Raceway spacing. Spacing between raceways shall be maintained."

Status
Not open for further replies.