Motor connections without j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecableguy

We often need to remove our 120V motors for shipment, so we are looking into using a wire connector to easily plug/unplug our wiring connections to remove the motor. Typically I have read that there are some regulations about motor connections being in a j-box, which is how we currently do it. We would like to get rid of this j-box if possible and just locate the wire connector inside the motor cover. Can anyone see a reason why this would not be possible?

thecableguy

I'm not sure I understand the question. Connections to any motor has to be made at the make up box on the motor, except for some small blower motors and the like.

These are small fan motors (1/6HP, 1.8A). Essentially I am trying to look into if it would be acceptable to make the motor connection from underneath the motor cover.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
What do you mean by "motor cover"? It might help if you post a picture or some other information about the specific motor.

kwired

Electron manager
Another question is if this motor is part of a listed assembly? If so NEC doesn't really apply the listing requirements do.

Status
Not open for further replies.