Garage sub panel MCB required

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
You know they dont need that many out there.....:)
No they typically don't need much more then a couple circuits, and often just one can get you by.

If you are a hobbyist or do other work with power tools frequently maybe you do need a little more - still unless there is more then just one or two people working in there you generally can only use one tool at a time plus accessories like dust collectors, air compressors etc.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
that when utilizing the "2 thru 6" provision, there not be more than 6 physical spaces in the equipment

Yes I know it does not require a main disconnect just based on number of spaces. However, as soon as you install the 7th disconnect you are in violation.

Some of our local AHJ require a main disconnect if we have more than 6 spaces or if the panel is a 6 space 12 circuit capacity.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes I know it does not require a main disconnect just based on number of spaces. However, as soon as you install the 7th disconnect you are in violation.

Some of our local AHJ require a main disconnect if we have more than 6 spaces or if the panel is a 6 space 12 circuit capacity.

Probably the same ones that consider 125 amp rated wire landed on a 200 amp fused disconnect with 125 amp fuses a code violation.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager

NEC isn't worded that way, but I can understand some local jurisdictions amending it to be that way.

I don't have as much issue with it for miniature breaker type panels, but I have installed I line panels using the six disconnect rule with all the breakers installed being over 100 amp with left over mounting space but these panels are not the type where someone typically comes along and adds a 15 or 20 amp circuit to just because it is easy to do. In fact the local handyman or maintenance man at the facility probably has no idea how to add a breaker to this panel so that means most of the time someone more qualified will be making the decision to violate the six disconnect rule if it happens.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
NEC isn't worded that way, but I can understand some local jurisdictions amending it to be that way.

I don't have as much issue with it for miniature breaker type panels, but I have installed I line panels using the six disconnect rule with all the breakers installed being over 100 amp with left over mounting space but these panels are not the type where someone typically comes along and adds a 15 or 20 amp circuit to just because it is easy to do. In fact the local handyman or maintenance man at the facility probably has no idea how to add a breaker to this panel so that means most of the time someone more qualified will be making the decision to violate the six disconnect rule if it happens.

I line panels are easier to add breakers to than most miniature type panels in my opinion.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member

Well they are absulotly wrong to do so. That is clearly not what the NEC says and to top it off there are legal allowances for a seventh and even eighth disconnecting means.

These AHJs need to learn the code.

kwired

Electron manager
I line panels are easier to add breakers to than most miniature type panels in my opinion.

JAP>
I agree - once you have seen it done. First time looking at one if nobody guides you a little you may take a while to figure it out if all you know is the typical miniature plug on style breaker. This series of breaker isn't something you go to local hardware store or even big box and it is on the shelf either, leaving more experienced (and likely more qualified) electrical workers being the majority of those that ever install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.