CSST bonding methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would connect the csst to the grounding electrode system at the house not at the main service to the property. I don't think that is the intent of the code but rather to connect to the grounding electrode system or the grounding at the building.

PetrosA

I agree with you all. I would do it also. The only thing that would make me nervous about that is if for some reason the service neutral were damaged or lost, you'd have the entire neutral current of loads in both buildings traveling between buildings on just the ground wire that runs from the main panel to the sub panel in the house (in this case a #6 AWG CU bonded to both the water and gas mains). Because that would likely go unnoticed for an extended period of time, there's a good chance something's going to burn up.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
BTW here is NC's change to the gas code. The highlighted section has been x'ed out

2012 NC Fuel Gas Code:
310.1.1 Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST). (120312 Item B-3)
310.1.1 CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the
electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The
bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 A WG copper win or equivalent.
The delayed effective date of this Rule is January 1, 2015.
The Statutory authority for Rule-making is G. S. 143-136; J43-138.

Mastedon

Black CSST

Black CSST

I'd like to ask two questions of the experts here.

I am a new home inspector and am trying to navigate the CSST requirements here in Maryland. Several years ago there was a state bill which did not pass that stated "Yellow CSST must be grounded by a certified master electrician". But that requirement was picked up by the state regulatory agency which coded it into the home inspection requirements (required reporting statements). However it took out the word "yellow". I have not found anything that requires that "Black CSST" be bonded/grounded. So what is the difference between yellow and black CSST, and are the grounding requirements the same? I would think they would be, just based on the fact that they are both thinwall piping which could be severed with a powerful electrical arc.

Second, more theoretical... Would we not want to make the "jumper" an actual jumper, and have an electrical ground "jump" across the CSST so that both ends of the adjoining piping are grounded. What if the one side of the CSST piping that does not have the bond becomes energized - then the current would have to travel across the CSST to get to the bonding clamp on the connector. This does not make sense to me so please tell me I am missing something. Is the only concern for lightening to fry the CSST if it gets loose inside the building by traveling from the outside-in?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am afraid the gas code does not make a distinction but the black stuff made by Omega Flex is called counterstrike and according to their info it does not need any special bonding like the yellow stuff does.

Under the gas code I believe you would still have to bond it.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I am afraid the gas code does not make a distinction but the black stuff made by Omega Flex is called counterstrike and according to their info it does not need any special bonding like the yellow stuff does.

Under the gas code I believe you would still have to bond it.

I agree Dennis. Installation requirements state "no further bonding requirements by the manufacturer" but both yellow and black are required to be bonded by IFGC

kenman215

Since you are an HVAC contractor I have to ask, do you install the bonding for your CSST or do you ask the electrician to do it? I don't want anything to do with it myself, but if I were the one installing the CSST that would be different. IMO it is part of the job of installing the CSST. Also we are (have been for a few years now) supposed to provide an intersystem bonding termination point at/near the electric service for others that need to bond to the electrical system to have a place to connect to. Funny thing is even if you have one installed some telephone or TV guys are not on board with them yet and will still put some clamp on a conduit, a water pipe (may not even be electrically continuous to the electrical system), a clamp on a meter socket or service panel, or even land their grounding conductor under a set screw of a raceway or cable fitting:(.

I can understand if a HVAC guy asked me to install an intersystem bonding terminal in an older installation that doesn't have one, but I wish they would stop asking me to bond their piping - you get several different instructions on how to do it - IMO that may be true depending on instructions of product used - but why isn't it the CSST installer's problem instead of mine?

If I do install it does that change my liability both from users as well as liability insurance - in a way I am now partially involved with running gas piping - not part of what I normally do.

Almost every job spec I get, we're required to do the gas bonding. Last job: 250' from the electric rm to the gas meter rack, totaling a 450' run of #6 looped continuous through 80 separate clamps. And my PM missed it in the spec, so freebie...

Status
Not open for further replies.