Thread: Lighting Contactors

Lighting Contactors

Hi,

IS there general type or ratings of Lighting Contactors? Like for Motors, Types of Contactors are based on HorsePower( 00, 0 etc.).

What parameters do I need to take into account while finding appropriate Lighting Contactors for Lights to-be contolled by photocell.

Thanks you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by smarteng View Post
    Hi,

IS there general type or ratings of Lighting Contactors? Like for Motors, Types of Contactors are based on HorsePower( 00, 0 etc.).

What parameters do I need to take into account while finding appropriate Lighting Contactors for Lights to-be contolled by photocell.

Thanks you so much.
    Main things to consider are # of poles (number of lighting circuits usually) and amps. Also, you'll want the coil voltage to match the photocell voltage

LED fixtures have the highest start current as far as I know. If the relay is fit for LED use, it's durable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smarteng View Post
    Hi,

Thanks you so much.
    I'd rethink using the photo cell. They usually only last 2-3 years and have to be serviced from a ladder or lift usually. Have you looked into using a programmable solar timer? Honeywell makes a very nice one that we use at our plant to pull in lighting contactors. We started replacing all our photocells with them.

if you must use a photocell, face it north. not north-east or north-west. straight north. it will not last long if it gets direct sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    I'd rethink using the photo cell. They usually only last 2-3 years and have to be serviced from a ladder or lift usually. Have you looked into using a programmable solar timer? Honeywell makes a very nice one that we use at our plant to pull in lighting contactors. We started replacing all our photocells with them.
    Not to "advertise", but one of our members makes a plug in replacement for the twist lock socketed photocells used for outside lighting that does not need programming. It uses GPS to find its location and the local time and just bases its operation on local astronomical sunrise and sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    I'd rethink using the photo cell.
    Manual bypass switch... put it in the office or next to the gear so they can manually control when the photocell dies until it can be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Majority of time photocells tend fail to "on" position.

Though bypass switches are still a good idea sometimes just in case.

Failing to on position usually means the photoelectric sensor itself has failed. If it fails "off" the output switch is usually failed in some manner, this maybe happens if switch is used for more load than it is rated for.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Not to "advertise", but one of our members makes a plug in replacement for the twist lock socketed photocells used for outside lighting that does not need programming. It uses GPS to find its location and the local time and just bases its operation on local astronomical sunrise and sunset.
    I see them advertised as being available from CEDs but my local stores do not seem to know about them. I think I found the correct link.
    Tom
    TBLO