Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapping Point - Supply Side of Breaker

Quote Originally Posted by rojay View Post
    Looks like the tap is made to the load side of the breaker??

Also- looks like the breaker is rated at 600 amps. Do the supply side conductors look like they’re anywhere near that ampacity? Parallel 300’s or 350’s would usually be in order.
    Yes this is a Load Side Tap, the conductors are yet to be determined. But good point regarding the size of supply conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I don't think it's a violation of 705. I don't think that the use of 2 poles on a 3pole device is a violation either (unless the device instructions explicitly prohibit it). But as already pointed out, you do have some other issues in the photo I think you'd be obligated to fix if you chose to do work in this enclosure. I hope that's not a service disconnect, for a couple of reasons.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'm having trouble if this is a violation of 705, but is it any violation at all on any part of the code? It's not a service disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by HecThor View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'm having trouble if this is a violation of 705, but is it any violation at all on any part of the code? It's not a service disconnect
    I'm a little reluctant to give advice on this one because what I'm seeing - unprofessional conduit installation, conductors going baffling directions, no white wire - makes me question whether any of the existing conductors are correctly sized for the existing applications, let alone adding and inverter output.

In principle 705 allows you to tap on either side of that breaker. But there are a number of conditions that have to be met on various wire sizes, and the code wording is pretty poor on specifics, and why go into all those details if we don't know which of those conductors you have to repull anyway for various unrelated code violations? We've helped you about as much as we can with the info you've given us so far. Give us a specific proposal of what you'd do and what all the relevant specs are and we can discuss.