User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: ideal setup for 3 Phase 208V 43.2KW SolarEdge Inverter 175-200 OCPD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I am with you. I also would like a response from noob or gunny about 230.40 ex 2 vs supply side connection. I keep saying it can be essentially the same thing but all i get is "no" without any specific response with reasons as to why I am wrong. Is it whether that set of SEC is serving only PV stuff? If so does adding a recep or ight turn it into 230.40 ex 2. Then as WW said, seems you get the benefits of supply side without it being one.
    I went and looked up the utility's exact requirement and this is it:

SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEM SHALL TERMINATE ON ITS OWN AC BREAKER IN THE MAIN SERVICE EQUIPMENT EXCLUSIVELY.

That's how they prevent supply side interconnections. The definition of "Main Service Equipment" is not provided. I've only worked on a couple of commercial projects in the area of this utility and they were both load side interconnections. In another area, they would have both probably been supply-side interconnections. One required reducing the size of the main breaker from 800A to 600A to free up ampacity for the PV system and the other required an alternative means exemption from the AHJ to interconnect to a switchboard in excess of 120% back feed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Goofy. But at least it's something of an answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    I went and looked up the utility's exact requirement and this is it:

SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEM SHALL TERMINATE ON ITS OWN AC BREAKER IN THE MAIN SERVICE EQUIPMENT EXCLUSIVELY.
    That raises the question of how they apply that rule when there are two main service equipment enclosures.

The wording also permits line side taps via an MLO service panel, but of course that may not be how the utility applies the rule.

Cheers, Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transformer Loss

Using a transformer to change from one voltage to another has penalties/costs. There are 24x7 no load losses and load losses proportional to the square of the load. These both eat into the energy produced by the PV. Losses vary all over the place, the cheaper transformers likely have the higher losses. If you can use inverters with no transformer, you can get around those losses.
    e^(i pi) = -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    That raises the question of how they apply that rule when there are two main service equipment enclosures.

The wording also permits line side taps via an MLO service panel, but of course that may not be how the utility applies the rule.

Cheers, Wayne

I think that they wrote up the interconnection instructions with residential use in mind without thinking about other types of services. Around here residential services just have one main service panel and disconnect. I don't think they put a lot of thought into it.