230/460 volt motor connected 240 delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
230/460 volt motor 3p connected to 240 volt delta, motor windings wired wye (6,5,4) (T-1 1,7) (T-2 2,8) (T-3 3,9) I was told that it ran but wrong direction, changed two leads to reverse rotation but then would not run. Should or can I change the motor windings to low delta (T-1 1,6,7) (T-2 2,8,4) (T-3 3,5,9)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What does the nameplate say?

The motor does not care if the supply voltage is delta or wye. The internal wiring of the motor is what determines how to configure the leads for low voltage. The diagram on the motor nameplate should be followed.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not seeing how you can change the motor configuration from wye to delta or vice versa if you don't have twelve leads, or a six lead motor that is wired delta for low voltage and wye for high voltage.

If anything recheck your configuration to make sure you didn't misplace a lead somewhere in the attempt to reverse rotation, or that you somehow lost an input lead in that attempt.

fbhwt

Occupation
What does the nameplate say?

The motor does not care if the supply voltage is delta or wye. The internal wiring of the motor is what determines how to configure the leads for low voltage. The diagram on the motor nameplate should be followed.

The diagram shows either a high 460v or low 230v connection, it is wired low 230v, I called the manufacture and I was told that it would work wired the way it is. I thought that being that the supply voltage is 240v delta that I would have to change the motor winding leads. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
The diagram shows either a high 460v or low 230v connection, it is wired low 230v, I called the manufacture and I was told that it would work wired the way it is. I thought that being that the supply voltage is 240v delta that I would have to change the motor winding leads. Thanks
The 230 volt connection diagram is what you need to use, regardless of wye or delta doesn't mean much for this aspect it is just how the source is connected or how the internals of the motor are connected, you still need a source with three phases 120 degrees apart that have a voltage within 10% or so of 230 volts - 240 will work.

fbhwt

Occupation
The 230 volt connection diagram is what you need to use, regardless of wye or delta doesn't mean much for this aspect it is just how the source is connected or how the internals of the motor are connected, you still need a source with three phases 120 degrees apart that have a voltage within 10% or so of 230 volts - 240 will work.

All is working now, found problem with fused disconnect, blades were not fully engaging, intermittent coil voltage to motor starter, thanks for all the help!

rlundsrud

Did you wire the motor per the nameplate, the motor itself is either delta or wye configured and this changes how the high and low voltage connectiona are done. You can't just wire it the way you have done others, you must follow the nameplate. To check if it is a wye motor, leads 7,8, and 9 should be common. If it was a delta motor then (1,4,9) (3,6,8) and (2,5,7) are common. It doesn't hurt to check, but just go with the nameplate. Running the motor incorrectly wired will damage the windings, it may run for a brief time, but it will cook eventually. Only 12 lead motors can be wired for delta or wye.

Edit: I was typing this when you posted your reply, glad you figured it out.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not entirely true. There are some that are six lead - connect them delta for 230 volts, wye for 400 volts. Mostly found in European motors I think.
That's right, and they can be used for 480V by connecting to the 400V (Wye) pattern, because 400V 50Hz is the same V/Hz ratio as 480V 60Hz.

But that motor cannot be used here for 230V, because it is designed for 230V 50Hz only.

The terminal numbers however would not have been T1, T2, T3... etc. as the OP reported, they would have been U, V, W etc., or maybe R, S, T etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.