RMC fittings in wet locations, 3-piece and Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

How does the "burden of proof" work with product documentation for RMC fittings, for use in wet and damp locations?

Is it such that the datasheet has to indicate "dry locations only" to forbid it?
Or is it that the datasheet has to indicate "wet locations" or "damp locations" to allow it?

Given a datasheet that omits this information, what can we conclude about where it can be used?

I ask because I'm looking through datasheets of RMC compression fittings and 3-piece couplings, and a lot of datasheets omit this information. Plus, the construction of these types of fittings makes me question whether or not they are sufficiently waterproof.

rymac222

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, but not sure how to start a new thread! But on the topic of RMC connectors and couplings, does the code cover thread less connectors and couplings being used in hazardous locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, but not sure how to start a new thread! But on the topic of RMC connectors and couplings, does the code cover thread less connectors and couplings being used in hazardous locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent a pm to you about starting a new thread

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How does the "burden of proof" work with product documentation for RMC fittings, for use in wet and damp locations?

Is it such that the datasheet has to indicate "dry locations only" to forbid it?
Or is it that the datasheet has to indicate "wet locations" or "damp locations" to allow it?

Given a datasheet that omits this information, what can we conclude about where it can be used?

I ask because I'm looking through datasheets of RMC compression fittings and 3-piece couplings, and a lot of datasheets omit this information. Plus, the construction of these types of fittings makes me question whether or not they are sufficiently waterproof.
Some products will lead you to believe it is listed for a certain location... but it is not... while others don't lead you to believe it is listed for any specific location... but it is. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to determine the product listing file number and then pull that up on the UL or NRTL website.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that 3 piece conduit couplings leak a bit more than the coupling that comes with the conduit, but not enough to worry about. I am not aware of any restrictions on the use of either3 piece couplings or standard conduit couplings in wet locations.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
But, even if the coupling leaks, the entire below ground run interior is defined by the NEC as a wet location.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
For that matter, if the GRC is installed in a wet location, what, if anything in the NEC, makes the interior of the GRC a "dry" location?

Carultch

I think that 3 piece conduit couplings leak a bit more than the coupling that comes with the conduit, but not enough to worry about. I am not aware of any restrictions on the use of either3 piece couplings or standard conduit couplings in wet locations.

The other example I see, is reducing bushings. I've seen Zn-steel reducing bushings that say "DRY LOCATIONS ONLY", while AL fittings omit this information. It might be related to the corrosion of the materials. The smaller conduit would have tapered threads or have a gasket to go with a straight thread fitting. But the larger part of the bushing would be a straight-to-straight thread connection. And if you apply Teflon tape, you loose your ground.

Carultch

Some products will lead you to believe it is listed for a certain location... but it is not... while others don't lead you to believe it is listed for any specific location... but it is. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to determine the product listing file number and then pull that up on the UL or NRTL website.

Does the "concrete tight" rating also cover water-tightness for wet and damp locations?

I see some products (3-piece couplings from AMF Corp), where the first two sizes are liquid tight, and the remaining sizes are concrete tight.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does the "concrete tight" rating also cover water-tightness for wet and damp locations?

I see some products (3-piece couplings from AMF Corp), where the first two sizes are liquid tight, and the remaining sizes are concrete tight.
Listed wet locations fittings are concrete tight. However, not all concrete tight fittings are suitable for wet locations (not listed as such).

Status
Not open for further replies.