Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting Components on a Type Z Purged Enclosure

it wouldn't have created any hazard to pressurize the box one of the panel views was in that was deemed unsuitable for pressurization. Either the keyboard or the touch screen would have just eventually failed but presumably not in some way that would cause some hazard.

in fact now that I think about it they actually had some terminals that were specifically stated suitable for pressurization.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    it wouldn't have created any hazard to pressurize the box one of the panel views was in that was deemed unsuitable for pressurization. Either the keyboard or the touch screen would have just eventually failed but presumably not in some way that would cause some hazard.

in fact now that I think about it they actually had some terminals that were specifically stated suitable for pressurization.
    That sounds reasonable. The truth is, while our control systems or electrical engineers may have specified a Type Z system, in my experience, we would have left it up to the panel fabricator to select the touchscreen and not worried about it. Unlike many current CSI type specs, unless there was a specific need, we rarely specified a brand or catalog number, only a performance requirement.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  78.2 KB
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by fifty60 View Post
    Thank you for the response. My concern is if the Type Z pressurization can damage the touchscreen. Should the screen have a specific rating for the pressurization?
    I have over 30 installations with HMI touch screens (various mfgr's) and have had zero issues w/ pressure on the panel, nor keeping a purge to meet the purge kit requirements. I think you'll be fine. If you're running anything over a few ounces of pressure/psi, you've got other issues you need to take care of.