Thread: 3phase weather proof receptacle

3phase weather proof receptacle

I just done a job to up grade receptacles from single phase to 3 phase. These receptacles are used to keep the reefer units on milk trucks running at night. They are located outside in the parking lot. So what I used was standard twist lock Nema L15-30-R 30amp 250v 3phase receptacles. We had them in weather resistant boxes and in use covers. So when the inspector came out he failed us because the receptacles are not weather resistant. I called my supplier and he told me they don't even make that receptacle weatherproof. The only one we could find that would be weatherproof was a Hubble and it is made for boat marinas. I have never ran into this problem before just would like to hear some ideas and thoughts about it.

A plug or connector for a cord is about $80 here. A flanged receptacle is about $100. Very common in agricultural Irrigstion. We install one on just about every Pump panel. They are used to power portable chemical injection pumps.

Is the inside of a weather-resistant box with a raintight-while-in-use cover considered a wet location?

Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Is the inside of a weather-resistant box with a raintight-while-in-use cover considered a wet location?
    According to the inspector it is. I asked the same question. Done this in other jurisdictions and never had a problem until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdcowart View Post
    I just done a job to up grade receptacles from single phase to 3 phase. These receptacles are used to keep the reefer units on milk trucks running at night. They are located outside in the parking lot. So what I used was standard twist lock Nema L15-30-R 30amp 250v 3phase receptacles. We had them in weather resistant boxes and in use covers. So when the inspector came out he failed us because the receptacles are not weather resistant. I called my supplier and he told me they don't even make that receptacle weatherproof. The only one we could find that would be weatherproof was a Hubble and it is made for boat marinas. I have never ran into this problem before just would like to hear some ideas and thoughts about it.
    The weather-resistant listing requirement only applies to 15 and 20 amp, 125/250 volt nonlocking receps. Look at 406.9.