Thread: Container Cannabis Extraction

Container Cannabis Extraction

Have a question where at California
    a customer trying to install a cannabis extraction container on our opinion this has to be wired as per Hazardous location conduit and wiring, Fire Chief never mentioned where is required the installation of hazardous classified location we need update from your experience.

I have no idea of the process but I believe it would be up to the inspection dept to make that call.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

It depends. From what I've seen, some use water or other non-volatile solutions in the extraction process, some use oils and some of those can be volatile.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    It depends. From what I've seen, some use water or other non-volatile solutions in the extraction process, some use oils and some of those can be volatile.
    Butane, for example, is both volatile and flammable.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Butane, for example, is both volatile and flammable.
    It also seems to be the general solvent of choice. Some enterprising chemist/chemical engineer could make a mint developing a CO2 extraction process. Super-critical CO2 extraction itself is old-hat technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Szavala View Post
    Have a question where at California
    a customer trying to install a cannabis extraction container on our opinion this has to be wired as per Hazardous location conduit and wiring, Fire Chief never mentioned where is required the installation of hazardous classified location we need update from your experience.
    Depends on if they are using CO2 or hydrocarbon extraction process. If it's CO2 then I don't think it is a hazardous location, depending on the flammability of the other components but hydrocarbon definitely is. Code and standards development is in its infancy in this area. The NFPA Journal had a good article on the subject many months ago and you might want to look it up. The AHJs in Colorado have developed some standards in this area that might be adopted nationally in the future, worth looking at.

cannabis extraction

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Depends on if they are using CO2 or hydrocarbon extraction process. If it's CO2 then I don't think it is a hazardous location, depending on the flammability of the other components but hydrocarbon definitely is. Code and standards development is in its infancy in this area. The NFPA Journal had a good article on the subject many months ago and you might want to look it up. The AHJs in Colorado have developed some standards in this area that might be adopted nationally in the future, worth looking at.
    Thank you this a good information.