User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I on the right career path? What can I do to set myself up for Project Management?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, this is all very helpful.

Any specific Mike Holt Textbooks I should dig into?? I was considering basic electrical theory to start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    My observations over the decades is that the position of Project manager for a Mechanical Contractor is a completely different animal than for a Construction Manager or a GC. The things one would learn to earn a Project management degree are valuable, but not necessarily directly related. The project management skills needed to run typical electrical job under, say 5 million, should be able to be taught on the Job or with a couple months instruction. Again, in my experience, project managers I have run in to and in my area, are expected to be the experts in the electrical field.
    Every job I have had in estimating and PM, my office co-workers were all, without exception, held Master Electrician licence and some were former contractors. So yes, they are experts in the field and in the office.

I take great exception to your time frame to become proficient at PM...or estimating for that matter......a couple of months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwarzenbach View Post
    Hello,

I am fairly new to the industry and I wanted to make sure I am doing my best to prepare me for a bright future in this trade. I wasn't really sure where to ask this other than here, but if you have any other resources I would love to read it.

I also also looking for more general advice from other PM's or people in the industry for how to best prepare myself and fast track my intended goal of becoming a PM.

We all have to exceed our level of competence to grow as we expand our career. I never would of made it from helper to business owner withour doing this. I say, go for it.