Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bonding gas pipe in house

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Ron, do you guys allow the bonding to be done by others even if they have to enter the panel? Around here they can bond but they cannot go into the panel.
    The electricians install the bonding conductor 99% of the time.
    I would not know if any other trade installed it. It's always installed at time of rough inspection after a few years of education & finally convincing the EC to charge a healthy price for it.
    Ron

I have done several, and have only used #6 cu. The gas line is not an electrode.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rcarroll View Post
    The International Fuel Gas Code requires the "Not smaller than #6 cu" to be connected toe the electrical service grounding electrode system.
    Not an EC's problem.
    IMO this should be one of the other systems that the intersystem bonding termination required by 250.94 is all about. If gas code would align itself to NEC and allow connection to either the GES or the ISBT then gas piping installers won't have to access an electrical enclosure to make their connection.

You know how many ISBT's I have installed that have nothing landed on them?

You know how many I have installed and come back to find the satellite TV installer placed one of those adjustable bonding clamps on the panel - when the ISBT was right there and if it had arms could have slapped them in the face while they were installing their clamp?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    IMO this should be one of the other systems that the intersystem bonding termination required by 250.94 is all about. If gas code would align itself to NEC and allow connection to either the GES or the ISBT then gas piping installers won't have to access an electrical enclosure to make their connection.

You know how many ISBT's I have installed that have nothing landed on them?

You know how many I have installed and come back to find the satellite TV installer placed one of those adjustable bonding clamps on the panel - when the ISBT was right there and if it had arms could have slapped them in the face while they were installing their clamp?
    The ISBT would make sense

as to NEC alignment, i'm sure many here remember bonding gas was once a no-no, then it went to w/in 6 feet (flashover rationale?) , and now we get calls from customers claiming the gas guys won't turn on their {whatever gas apliance} w/o us bonding it all

somewhere some substaintiation must exist ?

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post

Your pictures were of ductwork, not gas piping. I should have clarified that the NEC does not require ductwork to be bonded.
    ....unless you consider the ductwork as "likely to become energized" for some reason.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    I have done several, and have only used #6 cu. The gas line is not an electrode.
    That has nothing to do with it however it does seem that the one manufacturer that I knew required you to use 250.66 does not make the yellow stuff anymore.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

I have read twice now that the #6 bond is limited to 75'. Not sure what you have to do to calculate what size to use if you are 150' away I assume you need to calculate the resistance of #6 at 75' and then provide the same or less resistance at other distances.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    IMO this should be one of the other systems that the intersystem bonding termination required by 250.94 is all about.
    I agree.
    Last edited by GoldDigger; 09-18-18 at 05:00 AM. Reason: fix /QUOTE tag
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Ron, do you guys allow the bonding to be done by others even if they have to enter the panel? Around here they can bond but they cannot go into the panel.
    Would they need to go into the panel to bond? I mean, isn’t that what the bonding spot at the main entrance is for?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    Would they need to go into the panel to bond? I mean, isn’t that what the bonding spot at the main entrance is for?
    I think you are trying to describe what I mentioned in post 23. This has been in NEC for a few years now, maybe first appeared in 2005 or 2008, yet when I come back to places noting is landed on them, and system bonding by others is as hacked as it has been ever since I started in this trade. Seen satellite TV installers place a bonding clamp (adjustable thing that fits maybe 12 to 20 inch metal enclosures) on circuit breaker panel when there was a terminal provided specifically for people like them right below that panel. I certainly would call gas piping another system and most CSST piping has bonding rules so it would seem to make sense it is for them also. To get gas codes and or installation instructions to align themselves with the NEC and realize this terminal is there so they don't need their installers to enter the panel is a different game.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.