Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concrete tight ok underground?

concrete tight ok underground?

I am looking online at a 4" rigid split coupling, to join 4" length and a 4" 90 that can't be turned on. It says the split coupling is concrete tight but does that mean it can be buried in dirt? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    I am looking online at a 4" rigid split coupling, to join 4" length and a 4" 90 that can't be turned on. It says the split coupling is concrete tight but does that mean it can be buried in dirt? Thanks.
    No must be water tight. I believe they make compression fittings that have this rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    Nope they’re rain-tight not listed for direct burial.

You could use a RT/CT fitting and fill the area with concrete. I think you need 4 inches encasement if I’m not mistaken.

You could also rent a hog head like this to thread the pipe in place:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    Nope they’re rain-tight not listed for direct burial.

You could use a RT/CT fitting and fill the area with concrete. I think you need 4 inches encasement if I’m not mistaken.

You could also rent a hog head like this to thread the pipe in place:
    He said he cannot turn the conduit to spin it together so what good is threading it in place?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

How do you get the tristand into the ditch, let alone the power pony or power head?
    I can not remember a time that underground pipe wasn't wet or Full of water, and a normal threaded coupling isn't water anything until they fill with rust and dirt, which only slows the leak.

This might be an option for you, I'm not sure if you're using the rigid as an EGC though:

http://www.duraline.com/sites/defaul..._2015_2.16.pdf

We use these for HDPE to PVC and HDPE to steel usually.

I think I found it.
    www.galco.com/techdoc/tb/679_cp.pdf>

http://www.galco.com/techdoc/tb/679_cp.pdf
    Erickson 3 piece or spli one says direct buriel

Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    How do you get the tristand into the ditch, let alone the power pony or power head?
    I can not remember a time that underground pipe wasn't wet or Full of water, and a normal threaded coupling isn't water anything until they fill with rust and dirt, which only slows the leak.
    Doesn't need those items, just a hole hawg or other hi torque drill, wrench/socket wrench probably work also but will be slower going. But still doesn't change the fact that if you can't spin at least one of the pipes a three piece coupling is only fitting that will actually connect in such a manner even if it isn't water tight enough for requirements.

Standard couplings with straight thread are somewhat watertight but are not "water proof" regardless of what code may say.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Doesn't need those items, just a hole hawg or other hi torque drill, wrench/socket wrench probably work also but will be slower going. But still doesn't change the fact that if you can't spin at least one of the pipes a three piece coupling is only fitting that will actually connect in such a manner even if it isn't water tight enough for requirements.

Standard couplings with straight thread are somewhat watertight but are not "water proof" regardless of what code may say.
    One of the guys wanted to make a running thread but I know there is a direct reference against that in 342.42(B). (probably been done a million times). Although if you put a locknut on one side I would think it would be pretty tight. They UG conduits almost all end up with water in them anyway.