Thread: 250.68(C)(2)

250.68(C)(2)

250.68(C)(2) states that 'The metal structural frame of a building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system, or as a grounding electrode conductor.' Does this not mean then that the building steel does not have to be a grounding electrode in order to be a conductor between electrodes? For instance, if I had a steel building that was not in direct contact with the earth for 10 ft. or more couldn't I still go from my service disconnect to the building steel and then 100 ft. away go from my building steel to within 5 ft of where my metal water pipe enters the building and be within the code?

Yes , well maybe, but you need grd rods, too.. If I read you correctly. Your building steel does not touch the ground. The water line is the superior grd in this case.

I was originally thinking you were talking about a separate building.
    Last edited by Buck Parrish; 09-16-18 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the water line would be the main grounding electrode and the steel is not connected to the earth. I could then go from the steel to whatever other electrodes are present, correct?