Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK..... THIS.... is not a DIYer!

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    How many 30' light poles do you think DIY'ers installed at this bank?
    Not DIYers necessarily but "people" (I'm not going to call them electricians) often do lighting maintenance work. They are one step above a handyman.

I personally have seen in a major supervised hospital maintenance personnel do the dumbest stuff.
    "We call those wire couplings" butt splice he wanted to pull into a pipe to continue pulling wire.
    Many more wild and crazy s-word stuff; when I asked why they did stuff like this, answer "no one will see it down here".

Until I set her straight, my mom used to put food waste in the recycle bin. "They won't see it."
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Until I set her straight, my mom used to put food waste in the recycle bin. "They won't see it."
    as far as bad wires, a little liquid electrical tape should suffice

she may have been onto something. under the context of "recycle", in some locales, the recycle truck take the garbage to the same place as reg garbage, so why not utilize all the truck fuel to take more garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post

she may have been onto something. under the context of "recycle", in some locales, the recycle truck take the garbage to the same place as reg garbage, so why not utilize all the truck fuel to take more garbage.
    I'm hearing it's more than just some locales....a lot of recycled material is in low demand and gets landfilled.

One of them around here does take to same "transfer station site" but is not collected in same holding containers at that site. It is city run site and collection operation. They charge for "garbage" collection, but recycling is free. They do ask you to sort recyclables to lessen their cost of needing to sort things, and also want food containers to at least be rinsed. This probably at very least helps reduce rodent and insect problems at the transfer station.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    One of them around here does take to same "transfer station site" but is not collected in same holding containers at that site. It is city run site and collection operation. They charge for "garbage" collection, but recycling is free. They do ask you to sort recyclables to lessen their cost of needing to sort things, and also want food containers to at least be rinsed. This probably at very least helps reduce rodent and insect problems at the transfer station.
    At that locale, can one simply sign up for a recycle bin, at no charge, or is the recycle bin and collection free only if you pay for std garbage collection?

As for bugs and stuff, dry cardboard and many other recycle materials are like a Thanksgiving feast to many insects and rodents. The wet food stuff would be their dessert.

To me, its their business, they should have the skillset to figure out ways to pull recycle materials out of the garbage. I will gladly pay the extra $5 per month in my bill to have one less air polluting truck come through my neighborhood where less than half the folks even use the recycle bin. Some places have one truck that can pick up both bins, by me we have two trucks on same day.

I was going to start a business where everyone has to go out and buy, clean, sort, and pay me to collect my raw materials; then I figured no one would fall for it.

At that locale, can one simply sign up for a recycle bin, at no charge, or is the recycle bin and collection free only if you pay for std garbage collection?

As for bugs and stuff, dry cardboard and many other recycle materials are like a Thanksgiving feast to many insects and rodents. The wet food stuff would be their dessert.

To me, its their business, they should have the skillset to figure out ways to pull recycle materials out of the garbage. I will gladly pay the extra $5 per month in my bill to have one less air polluting truck come through my neighborhood where less than half the folks even use the recycle bin. Some places have one truck that can pick up both bins, by me we have two trucks on same day.
    Municipal run waste management operation. Weekly trash pickup, must be in bags that have the city's logo on them, they are expensive but people forget they are not just paying for a bag but also collection and other aspects of the operation. Also likely helps fund recycling program to some extent - which there is no fee for drop offs, and they also have weekly collection - prefer to have pre sorted, their collection trailer has multiple bins for different item types. If people don't sort things, and only put in acceptable items, then it will start to cause additional labor for those that operate the collection facility - if those costs increase enough then the trash collection fees that everyone already thinks are too high just may have to increase to meet budget. Those that don't want to comply are only causing problems and potentially increasing cost for everyone, but I'm sure there is a certain amount of wrong doing going on anyway.

Cardboard and paper, is not food for rodents, it is nesting material. They do chew it up, but then go back to where they are nesting and spit it back out.

Ever had a hamster? Put a piece of paper in with it and see what it does with it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.