Thread: Lifting Small Equipment

Lifting Small Equipment

Have a lot of small panels and disconnect swiches going on 2nd floor of new construction building. It's about 17' from sidewalk to 2nd floor slab. Thinking much of equipment will be delivered staggered here and there. What the best way to get some of this equipment up there once delivered? Forklift? Most all jobs I bid have elevator/hoist but not this one since it's only 2 stories. Thanks.

consider what it may cost to get something there to lift it, vs just having the apprentices carry items to the second floor. Unless there is items too heavy to carry involved, might be just as easy to figure a little labor to carry it to where it needs to go.

Now when the time comes if another trade has a lift available, chances are your crew leaders will offer favors for them in exchange for lifting your material, but that isn't easy to count on when you are in estimating phase of project.

Such a project sounds like it could easily have similar issues with getting wire, conduit, luminaires, etc. to the second level.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Winch n pulley... I use one I bought years ago for my three wheeled atv... around 1985... still just hooks up to a 12v battery and clips to a hook...

I made this years ago for an attic finish (we're licensed for home and commercial improvement contracting, too) to lift building materials and drywall:

(click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc00749.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	21254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc00748.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	21255

Sure beat walking it all up two flights of stairs and getting the carpet dirty!
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

How heavy is the stuff you're moving? You could rent a ladder lift. They come in various sizes. However you might have to pay an operating engineer if they're on the job.

Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

If you already have scissor lift that goes high enough that would work also.

Have UPS deliver to an address on the second floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post

Such a project sounds like it could easily have similar issues with getting wire, conduit, luminaires, etc. to the second level.

It doesn't really matter that much how you get the materials to the second floor just as long as you know that quite a bit of extra labor will be needed.

Depending on labor cost it may be cheaper just to rent a fork life for a month (if you have a trained operator). Other trades will probably be happy to kick in a little here and there on the cost. I would wait and see if they are going to rent one first.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    It doesn't really matter that much how you get the materials to the second floor just as long as you know that quite a bit of extra labor will be needed.

Depending on labor cost it may be cheaper just to rent a fork life for a month (if you have a trained operator). Other trades will probably be happy to kick in a little here and there on the cost. I would wait and see if they are going to rent one first.
    Just don't wait too long and have a week left to put everything in and nobody has rented a forklift yet

Wow, one story how will the men get up, 7:00am, 9:30 break, 12:00 lunch, 2:30 crap, right there is 4 trips one guy; really most of the time it is how to get materials off the delivery trucks.