Conduit Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybob

Hello. I have a question. I am installing a disconnect for a 100hp motor on a horizontal resaw, and I need to know what the minimum spacing is for 2 inch RMC. I know it's in the NEC, but I cannot find it for some reason. Could someone please refer me to the correct article? Thank you so much!

luckylerado

Hello. I have a question. I am installing a disconnect for a 100hp motor on a horizontal resaw, and I need to know what the minimum spacing is for 2 inch RMC. I know it's in the NEC, but I cannot find it for some reason. Could someone please refer me to the correct article? Thank you so much!

Just enough to get the locknut on. I am not aware of a min spacing.

Johnnybob

Just enough to get the locknut on. I am not aware of a min spacing.

Okay, thank you! I was remembering a job we did at a mill, where we pulled in several thousand feet off 500mcm/3 al tray cable, and when we installed it the engineer was upset that we hadn't spaced it correctly, as he'd sized the cable tray per 2011 NEC. However, we (Washington state) never adopted 2011, but we have adopted 2014, and for some reason I was assuming that there was a minimum spacing requirement for conduit as well.
Thank you again for straightening me out on this, I will maintain my usual 1 1/8" spacing:)

ron

I was remembering a job we did at a mill, where we pulled in several thousand feet off 500mcm/3 al tray cable, and when we installed it the engineer was upset that we hadn't spaced it correctly, as he'd sized the cable tray per 2011 NEC.

Conductors or cables in a tray have required spacing.

Raceway does not.

Carultch

Conductors or cables in a tray have required spacing.

Raceway does not.

Are you telling me that I can put raceways adjacent to one another WALL-TO-WALL, and still not think about derating?

Mechanically, you probably cannot do this, because you have to anticipate strap and fitting size. But thermally, is there an issue?

ron

Are you telling me that I can put raceways adjacent to one another WALL-TO-WALL, and still not think about derating?

Mechanically, you probably cannot do this, because you have to anticipate strap and fitting size. But thermally, is there an issue?
There is nothing in the code to establish different

Status
Not open for further replies.