Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: License to Survive

Quote Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
    I knew an old timer that would troubleshoot all the embedded heating cable we have around here with one of those xformers. Ramsy, your down there in CA? You guys did not get state licencing till when '06?
    California's License Board was established in 1929, its certification / Journeyman Wireman (JW) Card was mandated ~2006, but most employers are exempt, see CLC §3099.2. It only applies to statutory employees of Electrical licenses C10; not apprentices in training, independent contractors, even if operating under the unlicensed minor work exception §7048, and not other contractor/owner employees doing electrical.

Anyone except C10's can hire electrical workers with no certification, or license. Employer criteria may require experience, but General Contractor laborers, Maintenance companies, Home-Warranty companies, Home owners, tenants, and equipment suppliers, all hire electricians with no JW card. Municipal Inspectors, Utility workers, NRTL technicians, and other Gov. agencies also hire electricians with different requirements.

Permits, Inspections, General liability policies, and the required affiliations are all satisfied by the principle contractor or helper(s), usually the GC. Unless the C10 signs a labor contract to comply with a ratio of apprentice to certified JW cards on the payroll, there's no way certified JW cards must be employed.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    California's License Board was established in 1929, its certification / Journeyman Wireman (JW) Card was mandated ~2006, but most employers are exempt, see CLC §3099.2. It only applies to statutory employees of Electrical licenses C10; not apprentices in training, independent contractors, even if operating under the unlicensed minor work exception §7048, and not other contractor/owner employees doing electrical.

Anyone except C10's can hire electrical workers with no certification, or license. Employer criteria may require experience, but General Contractor laborers, Maintenance companies, Home-Warranty companies, Home owners, tenants, and equipment suppliers, all hire electricians with no JW card. Municipal Inspectors, Utility workers, NRTL technicians, and other Gov. agencies also hire electricians with different requirements.

Permits, Inspections, General liability policies, and the required affiliations are all satisfied by the principle contractor or helper(s), usually the GC. Unless the C10 signs a labor contract to comply with a ratio of apprentice to certified JW cards on the payroll, there's no way certified JW cards must be employed.
    I always find California laws hard to look up but I found it here:
    https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...-3099.5/3099.2

Yes and its pretty hard to be in the business of making residential electrical installations in California without one of those. A C10 is not that easy to get. It requires experience similar to a master in most other states in that you must have at least four years of on-the job experience at a journeyman level or higher. In addition, one must also pass two tests a law and business test and an electrical contractor test.
    However if you don't want to work for yourself you can just take the regular JW exam.
    California does not have people clamoring to dumb down the test as they have the residential exam right there for ya if you don't pass the a JW exam.

Arkansas and North Carolina both nearby have a residential license as well (last I herd anyway).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
    I always find California laws hard to look up but I found it here:
    https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...-3099.5/3099.2

Yes and its pretty hard to be in the business of making residential electrical installations in California without one of those. A C10 is not that easy to get. It requires experience similar to a master in most other states in that you must have at least four years of on-the job experience at a journeyman level or higher. In addition, one must also pass two tests a law and business test and an electrical contractor test.
    However if you don't want to work for yourself you can just take the regular JW exam.
    California does not have people clamoring to dumb down the test as they have the residential exam right there for ya if you don't pass the a JW exam.

Arkansas and North Carolina both nearby have a residential license as well (last I herd anyway).

Cheers
    The thing I found scary was that a lot of people were failing the trade portion and not the business portion.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector