Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: License to Survive

License to Survive

I'm wondering how many of you have read 'License to Survive' in this months trade rag here (reg required)

The short version is, the article is pointing out one state's manner of addressing their 'skilled labor drain', via introducing a bill dumbing down the entire process , further pointing to 'first time failure' rates for what WAS the norm for validation , and lauding it all as the shape of our future profession.

I beg to differ. I'm posting in the leader of trade educational sites claiming this wag the dog 101

Most of these trade rags foist perennial labor shortage articles our way.
    Yet,as there are many factors that would result in a shortage of any commodity, service or personnel , thier RX focuses on, as well as accomodates ineptitude.

Right now my state is lacking it's ability to license sparks per past quota, loosing the ones that do pass, and increasing the median to upper 50's in age here.

One of the biggest factors is the maintenance field doing the work . Up the street in skibunnyville 1/2 dozen maintenance companies are hiring ,and there's more of a market for a failed apprentice than ever before.

Further, and to even less notice by the writers , is the fact that our AG (who is talking to other states on this issue) has had the radish with the tsumami of litigation created by these sorts. Certification, which wasn't on the radar, is now being considered for maintenance ,home improvement and handymen . None of which wil ensure a safer / compliant install, all of which will sell plently of insurance policies when the 'eff up.

tell me i'm not alone.....what is your state doing? ~RJ~

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    An LB was introduced to increase the # of apprentices allowed per journeyman. IDK if it passed or not.
    Tom
    TBLO

There's a couple great videos by Mike Rowe on why there is a shortage of qualified trades people.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

https://youtu.be/-LhpFM2ChmA

I happen to like Mike Rowe John, we've got a good trade, and good jobs

because we EARNED it, and it was hard earned by those that came before us

I don't want to politicize the issue, so i'll call them all the 'powers that be'

Let the 'PTB' dumb it all down to illiteracy and ineptitude , .....and we won't have a good trade anymore, because nobody will make a good living rubbin' elbows with crybaby snowflakes that can't use a code book, let alone pass a test w/one.

Can you believe they posted interview with some EC who claims his sparks can't pass a test, who actually has the ear of some congresscritter? And this from a trade rag that supposedly upholds us as a 'profession'?

excuse me?

Rowe trys to define good job' , but what i'm reading is a recipe for a death spiral competing with 'do you want fries w/that?'

It galls me that this trade rag would even run an article advocating us slicing our own throats , which is why most go into the woodstove

I'm done w/ EC&M

~RJ~

Here in California the disaster reporting media coined the phrase, "Complete Regulatory Failure" when referring to the license board, or municipal inspectors. Usually after some General contractor ignores a "Stop Order", and laborers get subsequently crushed in a collapsing trench, and the untouchable contractor disappears.

My first apprenticeship master in 2002 referred to GC laborers as land fill, and bragged about construction sites where laborers from foreign lands were buried alive, and interred without anyone caring to ask about their absence. He made it sound easy to get away with, and perhaps intentional.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    https://youtu.be/-LhpFM2ChmA

I happen to like Mike Rowe John, we've got a good trade, and good jobs

because we EARNED it, and it was hard earned by those that came before us

I don't want to politicize the issue, so i'll call them all the 'powers that be'

Let the 'PTB' dumb it all down to illiteracy and ineptitude , .....and we won't have a good trade anymore, because nobody will make a good living rubbin' elbows with crybaby snowflakes that can't use a code book, let alone pass a test w/one.

Can you believe they posted interview with some EC who claims his sparks can't pass a test, who actually has the ear of some congresscritter? And this from a trade rag that supposedly upholds us as a 'profession'?

excuse me?

Rowe trys to define good job' , but what i'm reading is a recipe for a death spiral competing with 'do you want fries w/that?'

It galls me that this trade rag would even run an article advocating us slicing our own throats , which is why most go into the woodstove

I'm done w/ EC&M

~RJ~
    I have a hard time figuring out that mag. They grade the states as to how they rank with NEC status etc, then seemingly agree with opening up the licensing procedure because ‘my guy can’t take a test because...’ and all the old guys are retiring. I call bull.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Here in California the disaster reporting media coined the phrase, "Complete Regulatory Failure" when referring to the license board, or municipal inspectors. Usually after some General contractor ignores a "Stop Order", and laborers get subsequently crushed in a collapsing trench, and the untouchable contractor disappears.

My first apprenticeship master in 2002 referred to GC laborers as land fill, and bragged about construction sites where laborers from foreign lands were buried alive, and interred without anyone caring to ask about their absence. He made it sound easy to get away with, and perhaps intentional.
    Regulatory failure indeed .....

Tolerating ,ignoring, or otherwise advocating such sorts perpetuates chaos ,no true profession can compete with.

I do not wish our trade to devolve to such levels.

One would assume all that is 'regulatory' in our trade, the NFPA, NEC, IAEI,CSPC,UL, etc , would protest

Of note is, these rags allow no rebuttal. I've writen them multiple times in the past for such blatant debuacheries. I call more than 'bull', up that ante' to 'boycot'

~RJ~

Here in Florida they hire anybody as long as the contractor has the license . There's still contractor's that take pride in their work " Craftsmanship " . Lot of contractors don't care if they hire someone who doesn't have a license or formal training as long as they "Get It Done " ....

Quote Originally Posted by Davebones View Post
    Here in Florida they hire anybody as long as the contractor has the license . There's still contractor's that take pride in their work " Craftsmanship " . Lot of contractors don't care if they hire someone who doesn't have a license or formal training as long as they "Get It Done " ....
    Correct me if i'm off here Dave, but all my FLA buds inform me that the overwhelming contractual bureaucracy they endue is the backlash of carpetbaggers ans subsequent litigation, mostly endured via retirees

~RJ~

Can't answer about the bureaucracy the contractors endure as I work in a manufacturing plant . Do know we have retirees working for contractors under the table for less . Just don't see the quality of work being like I think it should be . This is in all trades . Not all contractors are like this . See so called journeyman that are really helpers being called journeyman but have no card , nor formal training , just worked in the field ..