Thread: Look up.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)

Look up.

Customers maintenance called and was starting the standby generator and needed help getting thins running again. His fellow employee(s) had lifted a sunshade up into the primary serving the feedlot. No one killed or hurt but it shut down that section of distribution.

Feelot sunshades are BIG.

Dont forget to look up occasionally.
    Tom
    TBLO

Saw a painter do something similar in getting a long extension ladder off of his truck rack. He parked under the primary 12kV service drop and tilted the ladder up into the wires, probably nicking the old insulation and caused a flashover. Nobody hurt, but I think the painter wet himself!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Had some gravel delivered this morning to my house. Last truck had about 1/2 yd left and was to dump it at the back of the property. Turned around as i heard the hum of arcing electrical to see he had lifted his bed and ran into the overhead lines. Tore down a pole before he realized what happened

Been a couple years ago I think, but a farmer had boom of a sprayer contact 69kV line. Was smart enough to stay in the machine until they told him it was safe. 69kV is usually high enough elevation this won't happen, somehow he found that one spot that was lower.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MattS87 View Post
    Had some gravel delivered this morning to my house. Last truck had about 1/2 yd left and was to dump it at the back of the property. Turned around as i heard the hum of arcing electrical to see he had lifted his bed and ran into the overhead lines. Tore down a pole before he realized what happened
    ...and this is why, when I have a contractor do work at my house, I ask to be listed as an additional named insured on their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    ...and this is why, when I have a contractor do work at my house, I ask to be listed as an additional named insured on their policy.
    Building an addition, I can see that. Having them come for a 1 or 2 hour fix it project, probably not happening. The mentioned gravel delivery truck may likely been simply a delivery truck from a sand and gravel company and not a contractor doing any work on the premises.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Building an addition, I can see that. Having them come for a 1 or 2 hour fix it project, probably not happening. The mentioned gravel delivery truck may likely been simply a delivery truck from a sand and gravel company and not a contractor doing any work on the premises.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Yep just a delivery. Where the lines are is well enough away from anything of value on my property luckily. Got some nice burn marks in the grass though

Wow

It's really interesting hearing such amazing and kind of scary stories.
    I've just recently stared being more interested in this field, and i haven't ever had anyone tell me anything like you people have. Its really amazing.