Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Look up.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    10,069

    Look up.

    Customers maintenance called and was starting the standby generator and needed help getting thins running again. His fellow employee(s) had lifted a sunshade up into the primary serving the feedlot. No one killed or hurt but it shut down that section of distribution.

    Feelot sunshades are BIG.

    Dont forget to look up occasionally.
    Tom
    TBLO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,117
    Saw a painter do something similar in getting a long extension ladder off of his truck rack. He parked under the primary 12kV service drop and tilted the ladder up into the wires, probably nicking the old insulation and caused a flashover. Nobody hurt, but I think the painter wet himself!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    181
    Had some gravel delivered this morning to my house. Last truck had about 1/2 yd left and was to dump it at the back of the property. Turned around as i heard the hum of arcing electrical to see he had lifted his bed and ran into the overhead lines. Tore down a pole before he realized what happened

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,252
    Been a couple years ago I think, but a farmer had boom of a sprayer contact 69kV line. Was smart enough to stay in the machine until they told him it was safe. 69kV is usually high enough elevation this won't happen, somehow he found that one spot that was lower.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,127
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS87 View Post
    Had some gravel delivered this morning to my house. Last truck had about 1/2 yd left and was to dump it at the back of the property. Turned around as i heard the hum of arcing electrical to see he had lifted his bed and ran into the overhead lines. Tore down a pole before he realized what happened
    ...and this is why, when I have a contractor do work at my house, I ask to be listed as an additional named insured on their policy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,252
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    ...and this is why, when I have a contractor do work at my house, I ask to be listed as an additional named insured on their policy.
    Building an addition, I can see that. Having them come for a 1 or 2 hour fix it project, probably not happening. The mentioned gravel delivery truck may likely been simply a delivery truck from a sand and gravel company and not a contractor doing any work on the premises.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,127
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Building an addition, I can see that. Having them come for a 1 or 2 hour fix it project, probably not happening. The mentioned gravel delivery truck may likely been simply a delivery truck from a sand and gravel company and not a contractor doing any work on the premises.
    Fair enough.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Building an addition, I can see that. Having them come for a 1 or 2 hour fix it project, probably not happening. The mentioned gravel delivery truck may likely been simply a delivery truck from a sand and gravel company and not a contractor doing any work on the premises.
    Yep just a delivery. Where the lines are is well enough away from anything of value on my property luckily. Got some nice burn marks in the grass though

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4

    Wow

    It's really interesting hearing such amazing and kind of scary stories.
    I've just recently stared being more interested in this field, and i haven't ever had anyone tell me anything like you people have. Its really amazing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •