Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd doorbell failure

And that's why I have door knocker!
    Ok, camera doorbells.

181004-0858 EDT

gsurace:

You indicated you have at least a voltmeter, because you said the transformer is OK. Make use of that instrument to do your troubleshooting. You should know how to do that.

CAT 5 should not be used for this type of application. It is not a rugged cable. In an expensive home it should be replaced.

You have not described how the circuit is wired. Are separate cables run from each button back to the chime and transformer? Where is the transformer located? Provide a drawing of how you think the circuit is wired, and the layout.

Are the buttons wired in series? If so, then should not work. Does each button go to a different chime? Is one cable daisy chained to the two buttons?

What are voltages measured at different points in the circuit with no buttons pushed, each different button pushed, both buttons pushed, for both working and nonworking conditions? What is transformer no load voltage, and when chime is chiming?

The information you provided is far too little for any remote person to give you much help.

Cat 5 is run in newer homes sometimes because of how many people want a video doorbell... they then change it after a while to a normal doorbell, or a normal doorbell is installed with the plan to install a video doorbell... my own home has a conduit run in for the doorbell..lol.. ott according to my wife.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

No. CAT5 is run because that's what is on the truck and stocking other cables might cost money.

Don't know what those guys are going to do when CAT5 is not stocked anymore (like CAT3) and replaced with CAT7 or something that is impossible to work with. That's what you get when you borrow from the data world.

-Hal

Double up

Double up the wires. Voltage drop on cat 5 with a door bell only using one set of wires is just asking for headaches in my opinion.

Also tightening one should not bring on both lights if wired front and back, even if both are wired for front one should not light the other unless they end up in series somehow.

What happens when both are pressed at the same time?
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

Quote Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
    Double up the wires. Voltage drop on cat 5 with a door bell only using one set of wires is just asking for headaches in my opinion.

Also tightening one should not bring on both lights if wired front and back, even if both are wired for front one should not light the other unless they end up in series somehow.

What happens when both are pressed at the same time?
    See post #7
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!