Flex for service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

I am replacing an all aluminum wiring to copper in a manufactured house (mobile home). I installed a new 100 amp panel in a different location, the old one was installed in the bedroom closet, and the new location, approved by the AHJ, is in the hall way, but I need to navigate the railing under and I was wondering, I never used those, if there is a flex conduit that I can use, it has to be large enough, maybe 1 1/4 or larger and if there is one, how long is allowed as I need at least 6' before changing to buried conduit. Thanks

david

"Flex for service panel" I think the thread title may be misleading since he is talking about relocating a panel in a bedroom closet for a manufactured (mobile) home.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see the issue...he is talking about replacing the existing panel that is in the closet with a new one in the hallway.

Esthy

230 does not apply, it is not a service it is a feeder.
Sorry, maybe my English is not clear, yes, I am removing the old one that is in the closet and installing a new 100 amps in the hallway. This a service panel (???) as at the outside post there is the meter and a 100 amps disconecting mean. I am digging a 18" trend and running the 4 conductors in conduit (mobile homes require the 4),but I will have a little problem as I have to navigate the rails and I though to go those 6' with flex because if I don't do that then I will have more than 360 or more than 4 90s to reach the panel and I don't want to install a pull box so I was happy when Don says 230, but now iwire says NO ..... Other alternative?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So Don, I cannot use 230? Flex?

I think we have confused the issue for you. The circuit you describe is a feeder so Article 230 would not apply. Art 215 applies and flex is O.K. if installed per Code.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, maybe my English is not clear, yes, I am removing the old one that is in the closet and installing a new 100 amps in the hallway. This a service panel (???) as at the outside post there is the meter and a 100 amps disconecting mean. I am digging a 18" trend and running the 4 conductors in conduit (mobile homes require the 4),but I will have a little problem as I have to navigate the rails and I though to go those 6' with flex because if I don't do that then I will have more than 360 or more than 4 90s to reach the panel and I don't want to install a pull box so I was happy when Don says 230, but now iwire says NO ..... Other alternative?
Service equipment is not permitted to be installed in/on mobile homes as a general rule. The disconnect on the post outside is the "service equipment". What you have from there to the panel in the home is a feeder. This technicality means that nothing in art 230 applies to anything beyond that service disconnect (which is on the post you mentioned) as 230 only applies to "services" or service related items.

Esthy

Service equipment is not permitted to be installed in/on mobile homes as a general rule. The disconnect on the post outside is the "service equipment". What you have from there to the panel in the home is a feeder. This technicality means that nothing in art 230 applies to anything beyond that service disconnect (which is on the post you mentioned) as 230 only applies to "services" or service related items.

Okay, but can use the flex under 215 as Don said, also some inspectors are driving me crazy with the smoke detectors: should they be in a dedicate circuit or sharing some light circuit for safety reasons?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...also some inspectors are driving me crazy with the smoke detectors: should they be in a dedicate circuit or sharing some light circuit for safety reasons?
You have to check the local codes on that one. Some require a dedicated circuit and some require the use of a "commonly used" circuit (most often a lighting circuit).

Esthy

I like with some lighting circuits as if the breaker trip we will notice that the SDs are not working, some peoples don't mind to live with the battery beeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.