Gas service bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenman215

I'm up here in northern NY and we're a little behind the times in terms of code cycles. I heard a guy at the shop today talking about how gas service bonding is going to be removed from the NEC. Does anyone know if this is part of any current code cycle, or one soon to come? Thanks gents.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Cant speak for anything beyond '14 but thru the 14' NEC and latest mechanical Codes gas piping in and attached to buildings still needs to be bonded and certain CSST piping requires unique bonding.
As far as "gas service" lines if that term references the underground gas supply line 250.52(B) and 250.6(E) (where applicable) have not allowed bonding of those lines for some time.

kenman215

Cant speak for anything beyond '14 but thru the 14' NEC and latest mechanical Codes gas piping in and attached to buildings still needs to be bonded and certain CSST piping requires unique bonding.
As far as "gas service" lines if that term references the underground gas supply line 250.52(B) and 250.6(E) (where applicable) have not allowed bonding of those lines for some time.

I say gas service simply because the bulk of what I do are large scale multi-unit buildings. The service point is the natural spot for bonding simply due to the proximity of all lines. But good catch. I think they might have been talking about 2017, wasn't sure though.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Gus, it's easier to define that it is required to be bonded (250.104(B)) than to say we can't connect to it, as all we have to do to satisfy 250.52(B) is to nod our heads and say, "Nope, I'm not using that to ground my service." The electrons and conductors look the same either way.

IMO it would be a stretch to call 250.6 in to the rescue, but I've always had a grudge against that section. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.