Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane station pump service

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    From 500.5(B)(2)

A Class I, Division 2 location is a location:
    (1) In which volatile flammable gases, flammable liquid– produced vapors, or combustible liquid–produced vapors are handled, processed, or used, but in which the liquids, vapors, or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems or in case of abnormal operation of equipment, or
    (2) In which ignitible concentrations of flammable gases, flammable liquid–produced vapors, or combustible liquid–produced vapors are normally prevented by posi‐ tive mechanical ventilation and which might become hazardous through failure or abnormal operation of the ventilating equipment, or
    (3) That is adjacent to a Class I, Division 1 location, and to which ignitible concentrations of flammable gases, flam‐ mable liquid–produced vapors, or combustible liquid– produced vapors above their flash points might occasion‐ ally be communicated unless such communication is prevented by adequate positive-pressure ventilation from a source of clean air and effective safeguards against ventilation failure are provided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Doesn't exactly address the leakage that I addressed. If such leakage is considered normal and there is no ventilation to assure removal of such gases I think it is going to be deemed class 1. Now the pump may not be in the class 1 area or even in a classified area at all if it is away from the place where this leakage is expected to occur. Might be a switch for the pump in the class 1 location and proper wiring methods will apply to it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Is this application a motor fuel dispensing application? If not then 514 doesn't even apply. Personally I don't think table 514.3(B)(2) which is supposed to be for LNG/CNG/LPG fueling applications provides adequate guidance and standards like NFPA 52, 59A and 58 are more helpful.

NFPA 58 provides guidance for classifying LPG areas/equipment. I only have 2011 version, but generally the areas that are Division 1 are indoors, or outdoors within 5' of bleeds/drips/vents/drains, within 5' of a point of transfer. Otherwise it is likely Division 2.