Residential tamper resistant receptacles -- best and worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owkaye

Thanks to the replies in this thread (https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=174333) I have decided to forego the use of more costly commercial receptacles with internal screw-and-clamp connections in an upcoming residential project.

I have always used Leviton TR receptacles in houses but I'm considering other brands. I'm sure some folks will say "they are all the same" ... but if you've had any negative experience with a particular brand that makes you want to avoid that brand, can you tell me about it?

If there's a particular feature you appreciate about one brand that makes it "better than the others" please tell me about this as well.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am very happy with Pass & Seymour. To me it feels better quality than the leviton.

Pizza

My house has cooper, I think those are pretty good. My shop uses P&S.
Hubble now makes resi grade devices.
Personally I think leviton is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PetrosA

I've pretty much switched exclusively to the Hubbell contractor line. The screw terminals seem to do better with not flexing than other brands I've tried, and there is enough stand-off on them that getting a #12 around the screw is easy, unlike with the P&S outlets. I still prefer the vinyl P&S contractor plates, though. They're slightly larger than the Hubbell plates and cover almost anybody's boo-boos without going to a goof plate.

Gene B

Doesn't everyone hate TR sockets that require a lot of force (noticeably greater than a non-TR)? Or is it just me?

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Sometimes it does not matter.

Last residence work installed 69 cent big box TRs (cooper I think). TRs all appear to be a pain.

The day after AHJ signed the permit, the HO went thru and swapped all out for regular spec grade hubbell, put the TRs in a box to reinstall if he ever has to sell the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.