User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Units of measurement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Units of measurement

I know I have brought this topic up before.
    Will the US ever join the rest of the world and move to using SI units of measure?
    For example, is there any sense in two different units for power?

And AWG is baffling in its derivation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most US engineers are bi-dimensional, I even think in metric in other than mechanical construction.

Perhaps we should all go back to Megalithic yards.

Wonder what electrical units would look like in Megalithic terms ? Other than any precursors of Bagdad battery, no archeological artifacts though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Most US engineers are bi-dimensional, I even think in metric in other than mechanical construction.
    It's SI though. Metric refers to metres, a unit of length. Hw many metres in a kilogram?......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    I know I have brought this topic up before.
    Will the US ever join the rest of the world and move to using SI units of measure?
    Of course not, but you knew that, right? There was a bit of a push back in the 70's to "go metric" here but it stalled out and went away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably when we get to the point we really care or when we value the opinions of others more than our own.
    BB+/BB=?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    Probably when we get to the point we really care or when we value the opinions of others more than our own.
    Or when we get to the point where everyone has to routinely divide seven feet eleven and seventeen thirty-seconds inches by five.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    Opinions? It's a matter of ease of use. You don't need HP and kW or the need for their conversion factors. Motor power becomes P = Tω. Forget the 33,000 ft-lbs per minute or the 550 ft-lbs per second.
    You wouldn't need yards, and feet and inches and miles and leagues. You'd just have the metre with multiples and sub multiples of it.
    You'd measure wire in mm^2 which is it's actual cross sectional area.
    Recipes wouldn't need pounds an ounces.............the list goes on.

Just so much simpler. and that's the opinion from one who grew up with Imperial measure, then CGS, then MKS. and lastly SI.
    Unlike my father, I don't need to know about the bushel or peck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one wish it was taken up by at least the NEC... I mean, so many countries have adopted the NEC but yet have the wires in Metric. Jamaica will be adopting it but their wires are Metric... and I know 2.5mm is not 12 gauge..
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's already in the NEC, but stupidly done. We use easy rounded nominals (Trade Size) for Imperial measurements, but not for metric ones.

A 1/2 conduit is more like 5/8 (and varies with wall thickness), but we are all okay with using the nice rounded, easy to remember sequences: 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2, 3, 3-1/2, 4, 5, and 6. The "inch" unit marker purposely left off.

But in metric, screw the easy ROUNDED OFF sequence, and use this Metric Designator instead: 16, 21, 27, 35, 41, 53, 63, 78, 91, 103, 129, and 155.

We ALREADY use a gross rounding in Imperial. There's no reason why the Metric Designations shouldn't be: 15, 20, 25, 35, 40, 55, 65, 80, 90, 130, and 155; or something like that. Maybe even getting rid of the 5's after 35.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opinions? It's a matter of ease of use. You don't need HP and kW or the need for their conversion factors. Motor power becomes P = Tω. Forget the 33,000 ft-lbs per minute or the 550 ft-lbs per second.
    You wouldn't need yards, and feet and inches and miles and leagues. You'd just have the metre with multiples and sub multiples of it.
    You'd measure wire in mm^2 which is it's actual cross sectional area.
    Recipes wouldn't need pounds an ounces.............the list goes on.

Just so much simpler. and that's the opinion from one who grew up with Imperial measure, then CGS, then MKS. and lastly SI.
    Unlike my father, I don't need to know about the bushel or peck.
    I am with you on this and have been for decades, but my vote just doesn't matter.

The fact is that people, at least Americans, simply don't like change and the SI system is outside their comfort zone, even if it's easier to use. I was exposed to it when I was a mere teen and was racing motorcycles. I was familiar with the metric system because of that and had no problem using it. I DID have a problem later in life when US automakers switched over and some of the cars I worked on were metric, while others were in inches. That required two sets of tools for every part.

I still get a chuckle about tire sizes that are in both metric and inches on the same tire. What is the deal with that???

And the US isn't the Lone Ranger. Doesn't the UK still express fuel economy in miles per gallon? Or is that just Canada?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky