Pendant Mounted Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

minesh21

Hi,

I am trying to design a solution for providing a dropped receptacle mounted in a junction box around 6' above the finished floor. It would be fed from a conduit that goes up to a 13 ft. ceiling into a j-box surface mounted to the ceiling. I understand that the NEC allows pendant boxes per section 314.23(H)(1) supported by flexible cords and threaded connections. So an example of this would be an SO cord with strain relief with a receptacle cap at the end (in lieu of the receptacle outlet in the j-box). Would this be a valid application?

Now what if I wanted to provide the receptacle in a j-box with a hard conduit connection instead of SO cord? Could I utilize NEC section 314.23(F) Exception 1 and install Rigid metal conduit? Or would I still need to support the conduit within 18 inches of the junction box containing the receptacle? Also, would I still be limited to a junction box that does not exceed 100 in in volume?

Thanks,

Minesh

minesh21

314.23(F) Exception 1 = 1-conduit of rigid instead of 2 conduits & support within 18" & not greater than 100 cu in.

So what you are saying is there is not other way for me to provide this dropped receptacle other than using flexible cord, assuming I cannot support the conduit to the wall or floor within 18 inches of the j-box.

Status
Not open for further replies.