User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wirenuts and NFPA79

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    But if I bought a machine from you and when I opened it up I saw a bunch of wire nuts, that would be the last one I would buy from you.
    Because they are inferior or because you don't ordinarily see them on something manufactured?

Any termination is only as good as how well the installer followed instructions. Sure a wire nut may have higher probability to fail, but a properly installed wire nut likely has less chance of failure than something not properly installed.

I'll admit if I see wire nuts in something that was factory assembled - it is usually a sign someone has modified something though.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kwired, I was about to say something similar......like tacky/unprofessional......but held my tounge.

Biggest advantage of the terminal strip arrangement is the ability to disconnect one thing at a time for troubleshooting. Hard to do that safe and easy with wire nuts. Quality labels and color coded wiring are two things that score points with me.

A well done panel should make it easy to discern neutrals/commons, constant hots, switched/switch leg hots, and ideally what switch/relay it came from. And all without having to cut a hundred wire ties and yanking on wires. Just my opinion from years of working on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Because they are inferior or because you don't ordinarily see them on something manufactured?

Any termination is only as good as how well the installer followed instructions. Sure a wire nut may have higher probability to fail, but a properly installed wire nut likely has less chance of failure than something not properly installed.

I'll admit if I see wire nuts in something that was factory assembled - it is usually a sign someone has modified something though.
    The only time I would use a wire nut on a piece of machinery is if I was out in the field with no parts making a "bush fix". So when I see them, I think of that and assume someone has bush fixed it. The exception would be an end device, like a solenoid valve or small cooling fan motor, where the manufacturer used flying leads and there is a small j-box for making the connections so there is no room for a TB.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...